Any info on gmu77 CO

1shot1yote

Going to Colorado in Oct. for second gun season gmu77. Girlfriend and I got invited by her friends as they have been out there once. Wondering if anybody had any info on that area, or has hunted it before could give me some tips.

Thanks
Justin

Justin -

This will be my 5 season hunting in 77. If it's snowing in the high country more than 2 feet, we usually hunt low. I've talked to the folks at the Sportsman, and they keep telling me it's still to hot and the Elk are up high. That being said, I'm probably going to take my horses up to what I call, the 3rd camp, and hunt the high country. It's fairly naked up there with few aspen and loads of meadows. It's easy to get a 1000yard shot if you have a rifle capable.

I had a GAP .260 built that I topped with a 3-20 Schmidt, muzzled with a Surefire can. This will be it's first hunt, but I've been taking it to the range frequently and feel comfortable with a 600yard shot. The goal is to take a monster bull, but if he just so happens to be at 20yards, I won't think twice, haha.

Let me know if you need any outfitters or help. Lots of country to cover, but I still think the Elk will be up top. I'm praying for snow so that my hunt requires less work. We'll see.

Preston

Hey thanks for the info. We are taking horses but will probably mostly use them for packing(if they don't freak out). Like I said my girlfriend's friends invited us on this trip and I've no idea what they are like to hunt with, I've only met them a couple of times. No matter what happens I'm planning on doing some hunting.

I'm shooting a Savage LRH 6.5-284 it will be topped with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 when it gets here the end of the week or early next. I've done all my load workup with a new Redfield. I have to say this is a nice scope for the money, just not a long range scope, mostly because it doesn't have a zero stop or adjustable parallax.

I've done quite a bit of testing and this rifle really shoots. My girlfriend had never done any long range shooting so we went out last Sunday afternoon. I started her out on the .223 and then moved her up to the 6.5. We shot at 375, 562, and 868. She dead centered the gong at 868 the first shot. I then decided we really needed to stretch this thing out, so we took the four wheeler down the power line and I found a rock to set up. Probably about 12''x16'' or so. Ranged our way back on power poles with my little rangefinder and came up with 1222yds.

I took the first shot at the rock and was a little high, so I took 1 moa off the scope and shot again. This time was right of the rock. Third shot held off the rock to the left and bang dead rock. Girlfriend says she wants to try. I told her to hold off the rock to the left just a little. She shoots and hits the rock first shot. I would prefer to keep shots 600yds or less, but if the wind is not blowing too hard I think I might try a bit further.

Anyway sorry for the whole story. Thanks for the info. Good luck on your hunt. If I run into a guy out there with a custom rifle and a surefire can it'll probably be you. I'm not even sure what part of the area they hunt as I haven't had a chance to talk to him.

Thanks Again
Justin

No problem.

If you come out of the sportsman, and go through the Weimenuche Valley (Spl?), then head up, you'll likely roll right by our horses. If I had to judge by length, We usually camp about 1/2 way up the trail, then pack out the rest of the way. Should have 5 horses with us if my friend makes it. It's possible that he won't, but we'll see.

I believe the other indicator would be 'the green gate' that lets you take the logging roads. It's been gated for years, but you can still get horses by it. Cars usually park next to it, but it's probably the easiest path up to 'the first clear cut' where they did some logging years ago.

Most of the timber burned, and lots of the down fall is gone from the forest fire in our unit. We'll see how the hunting goes. There is usually plenty of grass for the elk and horses, but I'm thinking there will be an over abundance, thus, keeping the heards up high.

Hope to see you up on the side of the mountain. If you see a gent that looks about 6'1" tall, white, talks like he's from Texas, and has a Olive Drab rifle, chances are, it's me, haha. Be sure to say hello.

By the way, what projectiles are you going to be launching? I'll be sending 142g SMKs. Hopefully just 1 though.

Preston from Texas.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.