Need some info on mt

tradbowhunter

I drew a tag in the breaks for archery, I was able to hunt 5 days, while I saw elk everyday, I never had a shot, but that's a whole nother story....Now my question is can anybody help me with a place in MT where I can rifle hunt on a general tag...I'm working in Williston and have about 4 days to hunt in the middle of Nov., so I don't have a lot of time.....I don't care about horn size at this point, just some meat for the freezer.....Thanks...Pat

I drew a tag in the breaks for archery, I was able to hunt 5 days, while I saw elk everyday, I never had a shot, but that's a whole nother story....Now my question is can anybody help me with a place in MT where I can rifle hunt on a general tag...I'm working in Williston and have about 4 days to hunt in the middle of Nov., so I don't have a lot of time.....I don't care about horn size at this point, just some meat for the freezer.....Thanks...Pat

I'd suggest downloading huntinggpsmaps.com. I've been using this a lot. I really dislike elk hunting after trying since I was 14 without barely seeing any. But since EHD whipped out my uncles deer herd south of Havre I have no choice.
So I've been pouring over maps and planning out my Saturday hunts. I look for forest service land where I can get a couple miles away from the road hunters.
I'd stay away from Helena in region 3, as a kid I remember during gun season things got crazy. Region 2 is where I'm focussing on. Lots of rough country with little access.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.