Any Coon Hunters out there?

BoydHeaton

Season starts In Pa Friday night at midnight....Cant wait!!!!

Attachments

• 514_230x230_NoPeel.jpg
    514_230x230_NoPeel.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 208
Hi Boyd, I used to hunt coon with my uncles in N.E. Pa. Wayne county. Here is a funny story, the first time I went out with my uncles I was 13 years old. They had a old Dodge sedan I was in the back seat with the dogs, a Blue Tick female named Lady and a Plot named Bull. So, we were driving on a dirt road and my uncle Gene says to my uncle Bob ya think we'll see them coons light up their feet tonight when they cross the road. I said, what? Ooohh yeah, says my uncle Gene the coons feet get so hot from running away from the dogs that when they go across the pavement their feet spark and sometimes light up. My uncle Bob says yep that's why the coons usually head for a swamp and climb trees so they can cool off their feet. Did I mention that I was 13. Yep, they had me hook, line and sinker. I told my Dad the story and I though he was going to bust a gut laughing. After he got control of his self he explained to me the impossibility of a coons feet ever sparking or lighting up. But it didn't matter I was hooked and went hunting with them guys a good many years. Nothing like the sound of a couple of hounds on a hot trail and the excitement around the tree when all the hounds are there. Good luck with your hunting.

Yep, it wasn't only coon hunting that those guys would try to get your goat with. I have a lot of good memories hunting with those guys. Next to coon hunting with the dogs my uncle Bob loved hunting rabbits with an old basset hound named Thunder. That dog had a real deep voice and there was never any mistake when we would hunt with other dogs when Thunder was on a rabbit. Got goose bumps just remembering the sound of old Thunders voice. Thanks for the article it brought back some good memories.

I was a hardcore coon hunter for most of my life...running mostly Blueticks and Black & Tans...had some good dogs, and few not so good, lol.

The best one was my last one...a Black & Tan bred out of NC bear dog stock...**** good dog all the way around, when he got too old to hunt I gave it up.

Yep, it wasn't only coon hunting that those guys would try to get your goat with. I have a lot of good memories hunting with those guys. Next to coon hunting with the dogs my uncle Bob loved hunting rabbits with an old basset hound named Thunder. That dog had a real deep voice and there was never any mistake when we would hunt with other dogs when Thunder was on a rabbit. Got goose bumps just remembering the sound of old Thunders voice. Thanks for the article it brought back some good memories.
Our Duke has one heck of a voice also.. Loud and deep! Most beautiful sound I've ever heard:D

If I was about 30 years younger I would be out there every chance I got to be with my hounds. This dam arthritis has me crippled up some. But I still get out there when I can and kick around a few bunny bushes. A few years ago I went to Maine on a Bear hunt with Hounds, that's just like hunting coons with hounds only now its a little more sophisticated with electronics and all. But the sound of the hounds trailing and treeing is just as good.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.