Any 50 BMG guys here using WC 872

Tucker65

Anyone using WC 872 with 750gr A-Max in their 50 BMG. I've been doing some load development with it and have had great accuracy results but I think the velocity is a little low. Just wondering if anyone else has played around with this powder and what their results were.

Thanks, John

John,
This is where you need to look. www.fcsa.org I know for certain that your powder is specifically designed for 20mm. It can be used for 50 bmg but is not burning fast enough to get you to 2900 fps Like H50 or WC860.

Jim

Yeah I've been meaning to join that group but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've heard what you said about the WC 872 being for the 20mm Vulcan but also heard it would work with the heavier 50 caliber projectiles. As far as accuracy, I'm getting pretty much one big oversized 50 caliber hole at 200 yards with velocity at 2625 fps. I took it out to 1000 yards a couple of weekends ago to see what it would do at distance and got a 6" five shot group in not the most ideal weather conditions. I'm going to get out and try more at distance when the wind cooperates and see if I can get a better group. That 6" group was mostly horizontal so I'm pretty sure it will shrink in size with out the wind affecting it.

Thanks John

That's the beauty of a big bullet with a BC over 1.000+. Takes a lot of wind or distance to alter it direction. Have fun. Send me an email and I will get you the info out.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.