Annealing test

FWIW, here's a test I did awhile back with salt bath annealing. My results were similar to yours, though not as bimodal.

That's awesome.

Well done.

I would like to see an analysis of what happens to the case and the bullet during the initial stages of firing. It seems likely that the neck first expands to fill the chamber (thus releasing the bullet) before the bullet even begins to move. In other words, it Seems like neck tension should have no effect on burn characteristics. brass hardness in this model could have some effect I suppose. Interesting subject.

I would like to see an analysis of what happens to the case and the bullet during the initial stages of firing. It seems likely that the neck first expands to fill the chamber (thus releasing the bullet) before the bullet even begins to move. In other words, it Seems like neck tension should have no effect on burn characteristics. brass hardness in this model could have some effect I suppose. Interesting subject.
Ignition starts at the primer, so I suspect everything starts surging forward, and therefore, the neck would be the last part of the brass to expand...

Here We Go Again with folks making thing way to complicated

Chair.gif

Guys that master the neck, can use crap brass and still get accuracy
That depends on were the " crap" in the brass is. Necks maybe depending on how bad they really are.
Big Internal volume differences and really poor flash holes different story.