• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Annealer & chronograph wanted

1980nano

Looking for advice on a low cost annealer and a chronograph. If you have one you are thinking about getting rid of, please let me know.

I would look at the ags annealer I had one for a couple years. Had zero problems with it. Annealed thousands of cases. I just sold it about a month ago, I upgraded to an AMP. I have nothing bad to say about it. Also I wouldn't go any lower than a magneto speed for a chronograph. I have one that has many thousand rounds over it and it's just easy and simple to use. I use it when I get ****ed at my labradar. Or if I'm just going out to check the speed of a few rounds. They are great. Feel free and message me if you have any other questions hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. Does the magneto mess with barrel harmonics since it is clamped to the barrel??

I don't try and shoot groups with it. I have found that anything touching the barrel will change the poi. And it has thrown group size off. That was the purpose of picking up the labradar. They make all kinds of goofy mounts and stuff for the magneto so it won't touch the barrel I just wasn't interested in any of that.

I anneal using the salt bath method. https://ballisticrecreations.ca/. I have been very pleased with the process, it is simple and repeatable for consistency, and the start up cost to get annealing is very inexpensive. Can't say enough good about it. I have also been using a RCBS chronograph, the one that looks like a bullet when all packaged up, and I really can't complain with it at all. I get consistent readings with and I think I paid right around $150.

If you decide to go with the Magneto speed the sporter is affordable but it doesn't accommodate rifles with big muzzle brakes. The v3 has way more options but the sporter gets it done. I use a v3. Point of impact is definitely affected. You can get a wiser mount and all is good. I have a wiser and never use it. I don't think its an issue really. Its way better than having the old school chronograph( have one of those too). V3 allows you to save and archive your data on a SD card. It gives you standard deviation and extreme spreads. I believe the sporter does as well. I still have a book I write everything down in. As far as annealing I built a homemade induction annealer and it works fantastic once I got it all dialed in. Really wanted an AMP but they are definitely a high dollar piece of equipment. I have about 300$ (maybe more) in parts to build my annealer. I get repeatable results with it. If you are handy and up to the task there is multiple threads on other forums on parts list and how to do it.