An PM to John Burns

alexkeyser

I sent this pm to John Burns in response to a previous thread on this site. I thought it wouldn't be a bad Idea to share it with the rest of you. I think it would be foolish to turn away such a knowledgeable person such as John Burns, with such a rough welcome back. Cut the man some slack guys. He may be one of the largest proponents of our sport as far as generating new interest. I think the following pm explains my position. I hope no one takes offense to me posting this.

John,
hope you get this. I was inspired by all of your videos as they are what got me started in long range shooting a few years ago. I attribute many of my long range kills to the knowledge I took from your videos. I wish people would be more courteous with their opinions. I do not think it is fair for people to rip apart every detail of your video. I am also not against people speaking their minds. Weather or not any of the things that have been discussed are true or false, I do not care. I don't think it takes away from the video at all. People are imperfect, including the ones who so deeply criticize you. Don't listen to it! I for one do not use all the methods you use. I for one, do things slightly different. What I do different does not matter. I do what works for me. I have had the privilege of taking some fine game out to 912 yards. I was able to do so because of you and also because of others on this site(kirby and shawn included). I currently am having Kirby build me a rifle. I hold him in the highest regards as a person and a rifle builder. I have spoken with him a great deal in the last few years. He has always answered my e-mails as well as everyone else on the site. I know he and shawn may have come off as a little harsh to you, but I know for a fact that Kirby meant well (I really cannot speak for shawn as I have not spoken to him directly, but he seems to be a great guy). Hopefully you can work things out with them and the three of you can share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of us on this site. I also look forward to shawn's new video. I will purchase it as soon as it is available.

P.S. Maybe you can help Shawn out with a few criticism's of your own;). Just remember that you guys are all on the same side. thanks, AL

VERY WELL SAID!
I think that John is a great ambassador to our sport. His videos have really helped me to develope some of the skills that I was missing to become a better longrange hunter.

Levi

I too PM'd John. I was brief.

He responded with "Thanks for the kind words."

I am the guy that started that thread and just had two questions none of which had anything to do with POI. Those two questions revealed my experience, or lack of, w/LRH.

Way to go Roy , you started the fight now looked what happned:p

I guess I'll have to PM him myself cause nobody would ever amswere my freekin question about his rifle and my feeling are still hurt about that.

I always like to hear several differant sides to an oppinion or idea as I feel that several differant outlooks are always better than one (except the wifes)

I don't think that one differance of oppinion should "run anybody off" nor do I think that everytime sombody makes a post that the other fellas should jump in and bash it whcih I have seen happen alot but not here yet.

I remember looking at the website and if I remember right it was a 7MM Rem Mag with Bergers. Pretty impressive stuff, the guns on their site look pretty nice too.

In talking with John in the past I believe he makes all his own rifles but I may be mistaken. Last I heard he used a 7mm STW with either Barnes or Berger bullets in the rifles in those videos. I may be wrong but I believe that was the case.

Kirby Allen(50)

John Burns

Hello:

I just logged on for my first time, I have spoken to John Burns several times, however its been 4 years ago, the rifle he used was of course but
by himself, it was a 7mmstw, at topped with a 4.5 x 14 x 50 Leupold,
and Keyton Industries custom made the knobs per Johns request. If I
remember correctly he was using 140 Sirricco's. I spoke to him a couple times, about building me a rifle, and he was so busy getting TBOTW started and on its feet, he did not have time. Comically the way I found
him, was .. I had hunted in Wyoming, in 04 and took time to check my rifle, ironically I had set a the same bench that the shot most of the footage in Beyond Belief... after making a 707 yd shot on a good bull, and flying back to NC. I turned on the TV the next Sunday evening and fliped
thru the channels, TBOTW was airing. ( First time I had ever watched it)
Of course I was amazed when John started talking while setting beside
the exact bench where I had traveled 1500 plus miles...

As Ironically the producer of TBOTW lives within 30 miles of me, here
in NC.

later..

liftman

I too have also seen John's video's and was able to take several great tips from them that have helped me make some long range kills. At this time, I have not had the chance to really shot and animal further than 624 yards. I have shot steel to 1200, but know that shooting at a live animal in the wild can be completely different.

I think rifleman such as John and the others on this website bring a great deal of information to many of us that did not have the experience needed when we first started off in the sport. I for one like to examine each experienced longrange shooter and get what works best for me and use it to my advantage. It is just my humble opinion that I can just about learn something from every experienced shooter here. I me John at this years SCI and he is a great guy!

In one of his videos I watched several years ago, john used a 7mm WRP, he said it was a 7 STW with throating changes, a 4.5x14 loopy with a m1 elev. knob w/ custom BDC, and a custom reticle for windage hold off.
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.