Ammo for rough sighting in?

mnhunter2

I need to sight in a rifle I had some scope work done on and was wondering if I can use some old ammo that I don't use for hunting anymore, lighter bullets and different powder, for the first round of sighting it it to get it generally close and then go to the ammo I use for hunting?

I need to sight in a rifle I had some scope work done on and was wondering if I can use some old ammo that I don't use for hunting anymore, lighter bullets and different powder, for the first round of sighting it it to get it generally close and then go to the ammo I use for hunting?
Not sure if it's correct but that's what I do

Why not ?

In my experience, that works fine. I zero at 100 yards, and I've never had to move more than a few inches to make final adjustments.

I've got a few rifles that I used to hunt over corn piles for pigs at around 75 yards. I used whatever I had lying around and never checked zero. If I was making shots that were several hundreds yards away, I'd be alot more picky.

For sure just did it my self glad I did it was off by about 9 inches so I made adjustments still have to find toon I want the barrel cold to see where it shoots

Absolutely fine to do: I've done it for years. That said, I usually shoot at 50 yards first to make sure I'm on paper, then move out to distance.