Aluminum Pillar vs Full Length Bedding Block

big-foot

I bought a Rem 700 338 UM. It had a 1.5-6 power scope on it, I let him keep that. It's pretty, looks like it just shot enough to eyebrow the owner with that little scope. By the time I put on this stock and add a long range scope it's going to weigh close to ten pounds and I'm leaning towards a bipod. It's going to be my long range deer-elk gun for when I cross the hills.

I'm looking to put a Knox RifleCompStock on it before I shoot it and they offer an Aluminum Pillar Bedded stock and Full Length Bedded Block versions.

Knoxx Recoil Solutions

The Bedded Block version costs $140 more and I'm sure increases the weight. Which is better? How much better?

TIA
Bigfoot

Better as in more accurate? Is one more accurate than the other for shooting off hand, and one better for use with a bi-pod?

I can tell you how unimpressed I have been with full length bedding blocks in HS stocks on factory rem rifles. The last two that I have been around have been trash when considering the hype/demand for them. Both actions would rock in the action area of the stock. Accuracy was poor as you can imagine until they were skim bedded. So what is the point??? I have a 22-250 on the sps stock and the general consensus on these is how much of a *** they are, but after I bedded the action and floated the barrel it shoots extremely well. I also have a buddy with the same sps rifle and we didn't bed it and it consistently shoots 1/2 MOA. The HS precision stocked remingtons we couldn't get under MOA until they were bedded. So if there is any chance you are going to bed them, what is the advantage of either, or just a regular stock? Anyone else have any of these results?

I agree with the hs's being crap. had to fix my fare share to get every thing to line up right. I make my own bedding blocks and have good luck with them. If i didnt I wouldnt spend the extra time to make them. Off hand I dont think you would notice much difference. On a bipod, maybe. The only thing I noticed is that it stiifens up my action area. The ones I make are also about a inch thick and made out of 7050T7 and go up about half way up my fore end. then i glass them in after i do the inletting for them on a mill. they add quite a bit of weight so it wiil depend oh how they are made, how they are inletted and how much extra weight you want. if the are like the hs's expect to have trouble though.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.