Barrel Block or Aluminum bedding block question

royinidaho

What kind of aluminum or aluminum alloy is used for bedding blocks or barrel blocks.

I'm looking for a material for an accessory that I'm cobbling up.

Also, who made steel so heavy and aluminum so expensive, huh?

Generaly 6061 series aluminum is the most common "good" aluminum , the 7075 is a good bit stronger but its a good bit more expensive also. For a bedding block the 6061 should serve you fine.
Check out E-bay they have a lot of dealers that you can E-amil and buy directly from them , namely Speedy Metals , they have good shipping time and decient prices

Might look at Wikipedia for a quick primer on aluminum vs steel. Then look in more detail at types of aluminum. There is a place for steel and a place for aluminum and the various alloys of each.

Aluminum is expensive because refining it requires huge inputs of electricity.

Roy, Bruce Baer told me he uses 7000 series for barrel blocks. as stated they are stronger and according to him they buff up to a higher gloss finish. i was told to go with 6061 on mine because i was welding to it and wasn't looking for that "range queen" finish.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.