Altitudes effects on POA/POI

mtorrey53

Hey guys, I'm needing some advice. I'm going on a bear hunt in Wyoming in September. The altitude I'll be hunting at is about 7400-8000 feet. Now I live in the south and my range is only about 450 feet above sea level. How will this much altitude change effect the zero on my rifle?

Out of curiosity have you entered your zero data into your ballistic calculator and see what the output is with variables (temp/altitude/humidity) expected during the hunt are?
Be aware that there is likely a selection in the Ballistic Program to enable "Zero Atmosphere". In the Shooter app I use the choice is located in the ammunition definition.

Hey guys, I'm needing some advice. I'm going on a bear hunt in Wyoming in September. The altitude I'll be hunting at is about 7400-8000 feet. Now I live in the south and my range is only about 450 feet above sea level. How will this much altitude change effect the zero on my rifle?
Will not change anything less than 300 yards.

Probably already got this, but, i live at 125' and hunt 10,000 plus regularly, you asked about zero, altitudes doesn't change anything under 300, at least not enough to matter. After that, the bullet will fly flatter. Get any of the ballistic apps and play around and you can see where it starts changing.

good luck!

I hunt above 10,000 the majority of the time and have found your POI will shift very little between 200 and 300 at least not enough to remove you from the vitals. I zero at 200 yds at 5,260' in the Denver area and hunt over 10,000' I normally shoot well over 600 to 1K when hunting elk so yes it has a major change for me but I have taken a couple close shots and had very limited POI shift. I am carrying a bit more velocity and using high BC Bullets. 7mm STW 168gr ABLR at 3,452 fps and 300 PRC 210gr ABLR at 3,086 fps.

The best thing to do is to take some extra ammo, a couple of targets and re-zero your rifle once you get there......especially if the rifle was taken on a plane. Things get thrown around and aren't always as you packed them. It might make 2"-3" inches difference at about 400 yards. Shoot it, re-zero and be confident for the hunt.

None! Just plug in the altitude into your ballistic app.

Interesting a fall bear hunt in Wyo....spot and stalk or over bait?

Check out JBM Ballistics you can play with temps and elevation with it.