Alternative to RCBS Uniflow

mrb1982

I don't mind trickling charges and measuring with the good ole balance beam scale. But I am growing tired of messing around with setting up my RCBS Uniflow for throwing the initial charge. I get it set where I want it, but then depending on how full the hopper is, throws higher or lower and is just kind of a pain. I know I am not the only one to have this problem. Is there a cost efficient digital system to get me close consistently so I can trickle? I know there are some really nice digital trickle scales out there, but I am just looking for something pretty cost efficient so that it can consistently get me close and then I can trickle it on the balance beam from there. Thanks for your help!

Do you have the powder baffle?
If you don't have one, get one.
I also put the micrometer adjusting screw on mine and can meter coarse stick powder pretty well, within +/- .1g.
Generally, I only use my UPM when my Redding LR is being used for my 338-416 Rigby Improved and I want to load something else as well.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will give that a try. Thanks!

Is there a specific baffle you recommend or just the standard RCBS one?

The RCBS one is all I have used.

On a side note, just went to have a look at the baffle and the whole hopper tube fell off...never even knew it was broken!

Cheers.

This gizmo does wonders.

also made for Lyman 55

So I am going to branch my question a little. Is the micrometer beneficial for loading rifle cartridges? The baffle should give me the consistency I would assume. So in theory, I should be able to get my charges dumping close and consistent m with the standard system and baffle once I get it dialed for that particular charge. Is the micrometer more about speeding up that process or is it a definite upgrade? For pistols it seems like it would be a requirement. Does the large screw micrometer work for pistols too?

The micrometer meters more consistently, but it's biggest advantage is repeatability.
Take note of each setting once complete and you can return to that setting at will.
Prior to using the micrometer, my UPM would sway .5g +/-.
With it, it will stay consistent to .2g and often as low as .1g.
I believe it works for pistols too.
I only load for 44 mag these days, but did load for 45 ACP and it handled the 5g loads OK.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Will the large micrometer work for pistol rounds like 45ACP, 10mm, or 40 S&W? Or do I need the small drum for those?

The measure should have come with both. Yes you need the small.
I would suggest that ofr handguns there are better measures like the Lyman 55 or Redding. Have found the Lee new measure is very accurate and works as a "sort of" progressive with the Lee turret press. 4 pulls one cartridge. Not high volume but still faster than a single stage.

Being consistent on working the throw arm helps a lot, I lift it sharp to settle-the powder in the drop tube, I find if I'm consistent with my throws I can keep it very close every time.

I didn't know you could change drums?
Anyway, I have no trouble doing 5g loads with Universal, but it's bulky and takes up a lot of space.

Cheers.