Almost time to go

It is getting close! Me and the wife are hunting with Lee Livingston 3rd season. Will be hunting the thoroughfare! Excited and nervous at the same time. Dreading the 6.5 hours of horse ride to camp. Maybe this will be our year. Have hunted with 3 different outfitters in 3 different states and never seen a branch antler bull! Had terrible weather each time. Our last hunt we both got spikes on last day. And yes after 3 years of nothing they were trophies to us. Will let you know how we did.
This is one of the reasons I ALWAYS tell elk hunters if they haven't hunted in Africa, they need to give it a try. Yes flying is long and seemingly expensive until you factor in the cost of the hunts and the fact you may spend $8-12K for an elk hunt and never see an animal. Granted you can't bring meat home, but you will likely see hundreds of animals and can shoot up to 6 or more for the same money. Give it serious consideration, especially since your dollars will help preserve hunting operations for the future after the devistating affects of Covid 19.

It is getting close! Me and the wife are hunting with Lee Livingston 3rd season. Will be hunting the thoroughfare! Excited and nervous at the same time. Dreading the 6.5 hours of horse ride to camp. Maybe this will be our year. Have hunted with 3 different outfitters in 3 different states and never seen a branch antler bull! Had terrible weather each time. Our last hunt we both got spikes on last day. And yes after 3 years of nothing they were trophies to us. Will let you know how we did.
Nuke, here is some advice and a little something from my experience. Most all critters out there know that a two beat gait is trouble. Meaning they know it is a human being. I had an old Tennessee Walker I used to campaign my dogs with, and we would ride right up on deer. I mean within 10 feet. Horses have a four beat gait, critters just think it's another animal and they are right, but don't acknowledge you sitting on there back! The other bonus automatic cover scent, critters cannot smell you either. The real nice part when you dismount they cannot count legs! You are blessed is what I am telling you. If the opportunity presents dismount your horse and put it between you and the animal and ease your rifle from the scabbard or off your back before moving the horse then the shot is yours. Don't point they focus on movement use the hands and hours of the clock for direction, speak very softly on distance. Above all don't fall off your horse, I have several. Admire the view and watch everything around you. You could fill your tags rather quickly.

I've found that a 1-1/2" piece of foam rubber between me and the saddle helps a lot. I took my last horseback ride many years ago. My knees just can't take it. Have fun and good luck.

The Thorofare is a legendary and beautifully remote corner of Wyoming, and it is an adventure just to be there! No wonder you are so excited!

With the exception of a Labor Day snowstorm this year, the weather in Wyoming has been hot and dry. That is not good for elk hunting in general, as too hot gets the elk to seek out those dense shady areas where they are so hard to find. But the weather is cooling off, and any day now the weather could suddenly change to where snow is in the forecast.

There is still smoke in many parts of Wyoming, coming from the west coast (and closer) wildfires. Just depends on where you are and which way the wind is blowing as to how clear your views will be.

Where you will be hunting is in the middle of some very nice country for elk. It also has a significant population of grizzly bears, among other things. You will definitely be in some wild country!

Maybe the hunting gods will smile on you this year and you will find that branch antlered elk you are looking for somewhere in the Thorofare! It is certainly a good possibility!

Hopefully the horse ride is not too rough on you, but it is the only way to get there! You can always get off and walk if you need to do so. And you will likely be leading your horse in certain terrain anyway. So you do not have to think of it as a straight non-stop 6.5 hour ride. Alternating walking and riding might also help you to not be completely ruined before you get to hunting camp!

Good Luck to you! Enjoy the trip! Not many elk hunters ever get to go there!

Wyowind

Good luck!!!!

Would like to thank y'all for the wishes of good luck! We can't wait it is what we live for. Like I said just having the opportunity to go and do it with my wife means the world to me. I
The Thorofare is a legendary and beautifully remote corner of Wyoming, and it is an adventure just to be there! No wonder you are so excited!

With the exception of a Labor Day snowstorm this year, the weather in Wyoming has been hot and dry. That is not good for elk hunting in general, as too hot gets the elk to seek out those dense shady areas where they are so hard to find. But the weather is cooling off, and any day now the weather could suddenly change to where snow is in the forecast.

There is still smoke in many parts of Wyoming, coming from the west coast (and closer) wildfires. Just depends on where you are and which way the wind is blowing as to how clear your views will be.

Where you will be hunting is in the middle of some very nice country for elk. It also has a significant population of grizzly bears, among other things. You will definitely be in some wild country!

Maybe the hunting gods will smile on you this year and you will find that branch antlered elk you are looking for somewhere in the Thorofare! It is certainly a good possibility!

Hopefully the horse ride is not too rough on you, but it is the only way to get there! You can always get off and walk if you need to do so. And you will likely be leading your horse in certain terrain anyway. So you do not have to think of it as a straight non-stop 6.5 hour ride. Alternating walking and riding might also help you to not be completely ruined before you get to hunting camp!

Good Luck to you! Enjoy the trip! Not many elk hunters ever get to go there!

Wyowind
want to thank everyone for the support and wishes of good luck! We are definitely blessed with the chance to do this together. I wrote a article for LRH about my wife called the perfect hunting partner. If you have read it you would understand what this means to us. Will definitely post when we get back on how we did, hopefully with pictures! Thanks again

Do you know if you are going in the Deer Creek Trail side? Don't forget your bear spray. Separately, take a real camera (besides a phone) and take as many pictures as possible. I did this and am pretty fortunate to have a lot of memories that might have gotten lost in the sensory overload.

FYI - it is Thorofare. If you get to the center of it, you are in the most remote spot in the lower 48.

I'm not sure what you mean by 3rd season. As a WYO resident it is just a season here. Perhaps you are the third client going out?

As a non resident there are 3 rifle seasons. We didn't have enough points to get 1st season chose 3rd hoping we get weather to push them . Kind of a double edge sword hope the weather is not to bad.

As I said to Ranger Rick if anyone wants to trade some kind of hunt or fly fishing trip in exchange for Walleye fishing on Green Bay we would be interested.

Attachments

• 369ACE9E-8BBF-46A0-84B3-921EF18341D5.jpeg
    369ACE9E-8BBF-46A0-84B3-921EF18341D5.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 128
  • E2E45349-0FB0-4AC2-BF7A-0CBB9E92C5FD.jpeg
    E2E45349-0FB0-4AC2-BF7A-0CBB9E92C5FD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
  • A09C671A-6B72-49AE-A9EE-CBAA3FA8B6C3.jpeg
    A09C671A-6B72-49AE-A9EE-CBAA3FA8B6C3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
  • D1C78F66-6D29-46C7-9FFF-14255E463A5D.jpeg
    D1C78F66-6D29-46C7-9FFF-14255E463A5D.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 129
  • FE7D27D7-3E37-4B7A-83CF-DCB2056E789D.jpeg
    FE7D27D7-3E37-4B7A-83CF-DCB2056E789D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
Although I am not sure when third season is for a nonresident, your choice looks to be good for this year.

Chance of light snow this weekend where I live. Temperatures are starting to drop.

This is all good for your hunting.

Best of Luck!

Wyowind

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.