Almost time to go

Nuclear Worker

It is getting close! Me and the wife are hunting with Lee Livingston 3rd season. Will be hunting the thoroughfare! Excited and nervous at the same time. Dreading the 6.5 hours of horse ride to camp. Maybe this will be our year. Have hunted with 3 different outfitters in 3 different states and never seen a branch antler bull! Had terrible weather each time. Our last hunt we both got spikes on last day. And yes after 3 years of nothing they were trophies to us. Will let you know how we did.

Thanks for the wish of good luck. Honestly we have had such amazing experiences on all those hunts together that I could live with any branch antler bull. Just being able to do it together is worth the price of admission. I was in a bad bike wreck was never supposed walk or talk again and then was diagnosed with cancer . So we truly enjoy every moment we can together.

No thanks, have a safe trip and hunt. We hunted the church wilderness out there. Where are you going?
Nuke,
You must be younger than me to suffer 6.5 hours on a horse 🐴 I've never hunted with a horse. Last year, I left Boise at 4:30am, arrived at my hunting spot at 7:30am, spotted a herd of 50+ elk with 10 mature bulls, advanced on the herd, stalked them with the sun at my back & downwind, shot a cow DRT at 30 yards, cow tag filled, field dressed it with my friend, dropped it off at the butcher and was showering at home by 1:00pm.
Of the 20+ elk I've got over 30+ years, that was finally an easy one. Most were my first day out with diligent preseason scouting. I love the stalk.
So, great success to you this year! And remember, you don't eat the antlers.

Last edited:
Me and my wife are both 56. So I am sure we will suffer. But living in Wisconsin we don't have the opportunity to do it on our own.You hunt public or private? Looking for some company on a future hunt? Would trade you Walleye fishing on Green Bay? Guided there for 20 years.
I'm almost 69. Twice I've hunted private land, the rest public land over the entire state including the thick brush up North when I went to the U of I. Thank you for the Walleye offer, but I'm now going year-to-year. I'll PM you some tips. RR

It is getting close! Me and the wife are hunting with Lee Livingston 3rd season. Will be hunting the thoroughfare! Excited and nervous at the same time. Dreading the 6.5 hours of horse ride to camp. Maybe this will be our year. Have hunted with 3 different outfitters in 3 different states and never seen a branch antler bull! Had terrible weather each time. Our last hunt we both got spikes on last day. And yes after 3 years of nothing they were trophies to us. Will let you know how we did.
Best of luck and enjoy your time in the wilderness!

Wishing you and your wife the utmost success! The Thoroughfare is a pretty special place.....always wanted to go, ain't made it yet! memtb

Six of us rode horses 2-1/2 hours into the Teton Wilderness last month, and all 6 of us tagged out by the second morning with nice 6x6 bulls, the largest measuring 332" gross. Simply amazing country!
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 6.29.26 PM.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.