Almost there...with my 6.5x47Lapua

RMulhern

Been working on some loads for this dude and this AM I wanted to check the drift on this load from 600 yards as I had about a 8-10 mph wind from 9 o/c. This is a 123 gr. SMK with 38 grs. Varget and BR-4 primers. I had two rounds that loaded just a little bit different from the first 3 I fired and these hit just above the 3 shown. I shot this with no windage adjustment. Group impacted left about 7.5" and a tat low but that was expected with the left wind. Got these jammed into the lands about .015" so me thinks I'll back them up just a bit and see how the next 5 shoot! These 5 went into 1.650" vertical x 1.800" horizontal.

It would have helped maybe if I had posted the photo!!

Last edited:
Looks good. I would like to hear more about your rifle. I have been contemplating buying a 6.5x47 barrel for my Savage. Not sure what it is about this caliber, but I find it very intriguing.

Tank

Looks good. I would like to hear more about your rifle. I have been contemplating buying a 6.5x47 barrel for my Savage. Not sure what it is about this caliber, but I find it very intriguing.

Tank

Tank

I dare say if I had been shooting this caliber 15 years back when I was shooting NRA HP.....the only individual that might would have kicked my butt would have been my friend David Tubb! I have NEVER fired a rifle/cartridge this accurate...in over 50 years of shooting! It is truly an 'eye-opening' cartridge!! No turning of brass.....just load and shoot and the bullet goes where I want it! I've shot some 5 shot groups with this dude that were in the 3s and that was right off the bat without some 'tinkering' with the loads! The rifle has a 1-8 Krieger barrel and it's in a McMillan Tac stock. Remington action with box mag!

Here's 5 rounds I shot recently from 1200 yards. Didn't have a firm zero so I just came up what I thought was right and I was on the bull for the 5 shown. Group measured 6" vertical x 7.25" horizontal.

would agree with OP. inherently accurate round. I went one step further and made a 6x47 fast twist for coyote hunting... smartest thing I ever did !!

Shoots the 105 amaxes and 115 Dtacs extremely well. high BC's + small wind drift = dead coyote LOL

trumps the swift and 22-250 IMO

not to mention the far superior Lapua brass !

I would haveto agree with the accuracy of this round. I have a 1in 8 twist Brux barrel on a Savage Model 12 action with a Dogtracker stock. 230 rnds down the tube and the average for 50 100yd 3 shot groups is .304 inches. The smallest group was .084 and the largest was .348 inches. I'm just starting to stretch the range out but the worst group so far at 400 yds is 2.75 inches.:D:D

Have any of you tried that Match Heavy BBL Shilen offered on Midway? They have one pre-chambered in 6.5x47 w/ 1:8 twist, 26" barrel. Will that be all I need to get started in this caliber should I get the funds to start with it?

Tank

Great shooting rifle! I have also become very interested in this caliber. After shooting mainly larger cartridges there is something about this caliber. I assume a lot of guys shoot it without a brake? It does seem to be one of those inherently accurate rounds that show up every now and then.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.