Alliant 4000MR - any opinions?

I think that sounds good haha.

Have you talked to @ButterBean at all about this plan? He's driven the 124 hammer hunter to somewhere around 4400 fps with a .300 RUM if I'm remembering correctly. Seems like someone to consult about this noble plan of yours.

I myself have worked up a laser load I'm hoping to try out on game very soon here, whitetail and I got drawn for antlerless mule deer. Hbn treated 120 Barnes tac tx at 4050 fps from a .300 win mag, superformance powder.
4400+ with the 101 HBO's and 4200+ with the 124 HH's out of the RUM, Both with H4350

Oh yea. Have discussed with the Bean several times. Just not on this particular powder.
Btw. Its 124 hammers at 4220 fps.
Edit. Sorry bean. Just saw your reply

Last edited:
Been reading on this powder.
My lgs has an 8lb jug. I believe I'll go grab it. It may be a few weeks before I'm able to try it out. My hopes is to use it to make a laser out of a 300 RUM with light hammers.
Any thought?
I'd like to know how that turns out.

I've been using it in my 300 wsm. Shooting Berger 200.20x. It's definitely higher velocity. Not done with testing. But really like it so far.

So I have a pound of 4000mr that I bought probably 8 years ago and it is not ball powder. Was some of the earlier stuff extruded?

Thanks Kevin

I've not opened the jug and looked, but I'm sure it said spherical on the tag. Interesting.

Also scored on a 8lb jug of LRT also yesterday. The 7RUM seems to be liking it.

Nothing else use it for fouling and initial test rounds. I can buy Magnum Rifle for $27 a pound today and it is very close (no not better) to H1000. I will use the heck out of it instead of my "better" powders. Have some initial test loads for two rifles in 7mm RM for Saturday loaded up. Tells me quickly if a certain bullet has good potential in that rifle. "Cheap/Not the best Powder" has saved my good powders/primers has saved me 1000's of wasted test rounds over the years.