Alliant 4000MR - any opinions?

Calvin45

Hey all, Alliant 4000MR ball powder is something I've noticed hasn't been constantly sold out in my neck of the woods, and it's less horrendously priced than some other in-stock powders. But I never hear anything at all about guys using this one…is it somehow less than impressive? Is it a "sleeper" that few truly appreciate due to lack of experience and therefore should be purchased before the masses catch on about it? 🤣. Most of all, does anyone on here use the stuff, particularly in .300 win mag but all experiences welcome, and how did it do? Temp sensitive? Dirty burning? Good velocity? Es and sd numbers…the usual questions. I know there are old threads to be found about this but I wanted to see if there was anything new anyone wanted to share with the forum as of august 2021. Thanks.

This is kinda a lame response, but I have some 4000MR and I did try it in both a 6.5CM and a 7-08 and looking at my notes, it was fair across the board in velocity and accuracy. I did like that it was predictable in regards to pressure and it does fill a case well. I did not do any temp sensitivity testing as I was shooting during very average spring temperatures.

I've used it in my 270 win. It gives me real good accurate loads with 150s. I think it'd do well in the 300w. I'd give you a 1/3 lb to play with if you didn't live so far away.

I've used it in my 270 win. It gives me real good accurate loads with 150s. I think it'd do well in the 300w. I'd give you a 1/3 lb to play with if you didn't live so far away.
I do have a 270 as well. My 3 centerfire Rifles right now are .243, 270, 300 win. It's nice that up to a point what works in one works well enough in all of them.

4000MR has proven to be an excellent powder for me in .22-250 (68-75 gr. bullets), .243W & .300WM. Data for 243W. & .300WM in Hornady manual. Burn rate sort of like RL19. Made by General Dynamics in FL, ball powder, does not appear to be extremely temp sensitive as I avoid using it when temps are above 90*, just as clean burning as others. MagnetoSpeed chrono velocities for 3, 71.5 gr. 4000MR, 178 Hornady ELDM, 3144, 3158, 3149. Next 3 rounds did .5 group at 100. Next 5 rounds - 200yd zero, last 5 300yd zero. I hope to get 8 lbs. asap. Alliant says "it's good for heavy lifting" I shot a small rodent using it with a 87 Vmax in my .243W over 400 yards a few years ago (1 shot but I waited until it rested on ground). Hodgdon burn rate chart does not reflect true burn rate of 4000MR.

4000MR has proven to be an excellent powder for me in .22-250 (68-75 gr. bullets), .243W & .300WM. Data for 243W. & .300WM in Hornady manual. Burn rate sort of like RL19. Made by General Dynamics in FL, ball powder, does not appear to be extremely temp sensitive as I avoid using it when temps are above 90*, just as clean burning as others. MagnetoSpeed chrono velocities for 3, 71.5 gr. 4000MR, 178 Hornady ELDM, 3144, 3158, 3149. Next 3 rounds did .5 group at 100. Next 5 rounds - 200yd zero, last 5 300yd zero. I hope to get 8 lbs. asap. Alliant says "it's good for heavy lifting" I shot a small rodent using it with a 87 Vmax in my .243W over 400 yards a few years ago (1 shot but I waited until it rested on ground). Hodgdon burn rate chart does not reflect true burn rate of 4000MR.
That's a great review, I'm going to give it a whirl in my .300wm.

Hey all, Alliant 4000MR ball powder is something I've noticed hasn't been constantly sold out in my neck of the woods, and it's less horrendously priced than some other in-stock powders. But I never hear anything at all about guys using this one…is it somehow less than impressive? Is it a "sleeper" that few truly appreciate due to lack of experience and therefore should be purchased before the masses catch on about it? 🤣. Most of all, does anyone on here use the stuff, particularly in .300 win mag but all experiences welcome, and how did it do? Temp sensitive? Dirty burning? Good velocity? Es and sd numbers…the usual questions. I know there are old threads to be found about this but I wanted to see if there was anything new anyone wanted to share with the forum as of august 2021. Thanks.
I tried it in my 6.5 Creedmoors and got good velocities but never could get consistently small groups.

John

Last edited:

The largest velocity breakthrough in rifle powder has been accomplished by the Swiss at Nitrocheme. Alliant got the Chemist responsible to visit the St Marks plant in Florida. Hognot points out that St Marks is operated by General Dynamics now. The result is 2000-MR and 4000-MR that are "marketed" by Alliant. As typical for Alliant, new powders for the reloading community are not supported with load data for cartridges that people actually reload with bullets they might use. There are never any pressures shown either. Supply is spotty. I have found these ball powders better than any other ball powders for producing velocities, burning cleanly and less temperature sensitive. Of important note, 2000-MR and 4000-MR burn at a lower temperature (erode less throat steel) than other powders and still will exceed them in velocity. I proved this to myself shooting little furry creatures with high velocity .224 cartridges. Much less barrel heating and shorter cooling periods. Much appreciated.

I have an idea that the "Winchester" 6.5 Stabil is close enought to 4000-MR that it is just a batch of the same powder, marketed by Hodgdon instead of Alliant. I have not shot pounds and pounds of 6.5 Stabil yet to tell you. I have shot several pounds of the Alliant powders. I have plans to continue shooting the Alliant products. I believe that the target burn rate for 4000-MR is H-4350 and should produce more velocity.

My first use of 4000-MR was in the 6mm Remington with 87gr Hornady V-Max and 90gr Berger VLDs.

I picked up an 8# jug from Powder Valley to use in my 7mm RM. Scoured the internet and found some decent looking data for Hornady 162 gr ELD-X and Nosler 168 gr Custom Competition (Nosler 8.3 lists it as the most accurate powder at 58.0 gr even though new data from their site doesn't). I happen to have some of each so I figured why not (especially since I can't find the more popular powders in stock). Hornady 10 lists loads for 300 WM in bullets starting at 178 gr up to 190 gr as well as other calibers. I'm sure if you do a search you'll come up with something. Like you, its what I could find in stock so I'll try to find something my 7mm likes to eat.

Been reading on this powder.
My lgs has an 8lb jug. I believe I'll go grab it. It may be a few weeks before I'm able to try it out. My hopes is to use it to make a laser out of a 300 RUM with light hammers.
Any thought?

Been reading on this powder.
My lgs has an 8lb jug. I believe I'll go grab it. It may be a few weeks before I'm able to try it out. My hopes is to use it to make a laser out of a 300 RUM with light hammers.
Any thought?
I think that sounds good haha.

Have you talked to @ButterBean at all about this plan? He's driven the 124 hammer hunter to somewhere around 4400 fps with a .300 RUM if I'm remembering correctly. Seems like someone to consult about this noble plan of yours.

I myself have worked up a laser load I'm hoping to try out on game very soon here, whitetail and I got drawn for antlerless mule deer. Hbn treated 120 Barnes tac tx at 4050 fps from a .300 win mag, superformance powder.