AI prairie dog barrel

After some serious studying into this let me ask y'all a question. With any of these other calibers mentioned would I gain any significant performance difference over a plain old 243. I was looking at the dogtoen brass at midway. It is crazy cheap and there is always the old " can get ammo anywhere" argument.

Cheaper, a little easier on barrels, dont necessarily have to make it, of course. Different, interesting, possibly awesome, not really. But having this many good options, the best part of this hobby. Having to pick one, not so much.

Backyardsniper, large over bore cases mean frequent cleaning more often than not, every 50 rounds. I shot a lot of p.dogs and cleaning frequency is of a major concern, not to mention barrel heat, throat wear, etc.

6x47 lapua or 6 XC with the 105's would save you a LOT of grief, perhaps your should seriously consider a 6 BRA with 105's.

When you powder foul out a large over bore 22 caliber, you have to use some serious cleaning efforts to get the carbon out and be an advanced "cleaner" also.

Backyardsniper, large over bore cases mean frequent cleaning more often than not, every 50 rounds. I shot a lot of p.dogs and cleaning frequency is of a major concern, not to mention barrel heat, throat wear, etc.

6x47 lapua or 6 XC with the 105's would save you a LOT of grief, perhaps your should seriously consider a 6 BRA with 105's.

When you powder foul out a large over bore 22 caliber, you have to use some serious cleaning efforts to get the carbon out and be an advanced "cleaner" also.

In decades, I really haven't experienced this in LR shooting at P-dogs, for it is not the same as shooting 3-500 rounds a day over a large town with closer/faster shots. Even when I complete a 50 round shoot with my 22-250AI on the range, cleanup has been no more work than my 222/223/6mm's. I run a mop with my solvent through 3 times, let it set for 5 minutes, brush 2-3 times and then wet/dry patch a couple of times. It cleans up well with little fuss.

Granted, solvents, powders and bores are different, and all my bores are lapped very smooth and kept clean. So I don't see build up. YMMV

Last edited:
I currently have 2 rifles in 22-250 ai both 7 twist they have been wonderful rifles and easy to load for. But---when the next barrel goes I'll replace it with a 22 creedmoor, no more fire forming brass

Got a 7twist 22-250AI. At 3100ft/sec, 88eld, 90berger, 90&95 sierra's blowup about 1 of 4. Backed down to 2950 looks good so far. Going to try 83 Hunters.

I know you said you wanted absolute maximum velocity but i would consider 6br. Good performance and barrel life.

Im shooting the berger 105 hybrid over varget and its stupid accurate with a load i just threw together. Kills them way out there.

22250%20return%20004.jpg
[/URL]

After a visit to Ft Hood Tx at the start of Desert Storm l became fascinated with prairie dogs. l was fortunate enough to go on my first shoot awhile afterwards. Being lnvolved in Silhouettes since the late 70s l already knew l enjoyed shooting more than hunting.. My first shoot l took 2 Winchester Model 70s, a sporter 222Rem and Varmint in 243Win. After the first shot/hit on a PD l was hooked for LIFE. The 243 is definitely medicine for those long shots. A 60-70gr bullet @ app 3800fps provides lots of ACTION too!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.