Age this Ga pig

Learning stuff here. Mind if I jump in OP? 2.3 shot this (her first buck) and he had the largest bases I've seen here and he was absolutely heavier than any other deer I've had to drag in GA. He did have one point broken off and had some other signs he'd been fighting. It is a QDMA and it seems to be working as there are some nice deer coming out in the last couple years.

How old is he? And anyone take a stab at weight? Don't have a scale so I don't know the answer.
View attachment 232617
7-8 maybe older, perfect example of Pedicles larger than antlers. Deer is in decline due to age. At one time in his life was heavier with larger antlers for sure. Weight hard to judge from pic but wild guess at 180+

Learning stuff here. Mind if I jump in OP? 2.3 shot this (her first buck) and he had the largest bases I've seen here and he was absolutely heavier than any other deer I've had to drag in GA. He did have one point broken off and had some other signs he'd been fighting. It is a QDMA and it seems to be working as there are some nice deer coming out in the last couple years.

How old is he? And anyone take a stab at weight? Don't have a scale so I don't know the answer.
View attachment 232617
By the way no offense meant by answer to your question still a great buck congrats!!!

Still no daylight chance at this deer. Had him on camera 14 nights in a row . Now been 5 nights without seeing him .
This area used to be exceptional, a long time ago . State record typical back in 1961 was shot within 2 miles of here, 191 and change net b&c. These days , you have to travel a few miles in any direction to see any kind of QDM. The rack isnt impressive , but for the area, he is pretty interesting. There are a couple more reasonably mature deer coming to my feed pile , but they are also less than impressive. The pictured buck absolutely runs the feed pile. One other buck that looks bigger, longer frame , long nosed , gets pushed off everytime they show up at the same time . Another buck, im guessing 3.5 that had decent frame rack challenged the buck in the pic in the pile one night in mid nov. He showed up the next night missing his right antler. The most surprising thing is we have more bucks than does right now from what ive been seeing at night on camera. I seems like there has been some herd balancing going on , but most of the deer i know of being harvested are bucks. I know ive never seen the action on a feed pile like ive seen in this spot. Nov 10th was the first day i had the camera in this spot . As of this morning, its taken right at 1600 pics ! I can identify 6 doe and 15 different bucks , most 1 1/2 yr old bucks ,but with good age distribution too. Interesting.

View attachment 232617
No problem ......i enjoy looking at and talking about the age structure of whitetail, especially here in Ga. What county are you in ?
Deer looks to have a big body frame , so based on a CENTRAL Ga deer, id guess around 170 to 180 field dressed , or about 220 on the hoof. Old deer too. You can see the age in his face skin sagging. Seems like bucks get a hollow look in the face when they get really mature.

Last edited:
No problem ......i enjoy looking at and talking about the age structure of whitetail, especially here in Ga. What county are you in ?
Deer looks to have a big body frame , so based on a CENTRAL Ga deer, id guess around 170 to 180 field dressed , or about 220 on the hoof. Old deer too. You can see the age in his face skin sagging. Seems like bucks get a hollow look in the face when they get really mature.

They get gray, shorter, fatter, wider antlers, and a beer gut. Lol

I just think with all the farms, acorns, and feeders we have morbidly obese deer. :)

They get gray, shorter, fatter, wider antlers, and a beer gut. Lol

I just think with all the farms, acorns, and feeders we have morbidly obese deer. :)
I was responding to sea2summit questions about his deer questions.
As far as the deer im seeing in Juliette, they aren't very fat around here. Im in the bad water zone, close to GP . Really isnt much going on around here for food . Mast is the main protein , or carbs . Thats the reason the 50lbs of corn ive been dumping every other day or 3 has had so much traffic. Club across the street doesn't do any feed program . Only a couple locals hunt anymore on the land around me . Since i moved here in this camper in early november , ive heard maybe 4 or 5 shots , other than a couple early morning shotgun barrages on Saturday daybreaks by duck hunters around the waterfowl areas at rum creek. Its a dead zone for deer hunting other than the 6 person club across the road and they are Cobb County city boys that come down for a couple weeks in November.

Did you get him BTW? I've only been out 4x...things have been quiet in Smarr. Saw two does, ton of turkeys, and a wounded coyote that I couldn't get a shot on. The next day I was putting corn out and a big *** 10 point walks right up to me (20 yards away) I was in work clothes and no rifle. He was waiting for me to leave for the corn. Didn't see him the next day. 🤪🤣
They know

View attachment 232617
Just looking at his body and head compared to you two I'd guess at least 4.5. Great deer. Cool rifle and congrats to you both!

Chime in experts . Im thinking at least 4.5 . Possibly 5.5. He is a hoss bodied buck for my area . Ive had him as my target buck this year, but he dont do daylight so far. He loves passing through around 4 to 5 am. Im hoping for some luck when this secondary rut kicks in about a week from now. Got 89 pics last night on one camera , at least 7 different bucks , 4 are racked bucks .
View attachment 229638
Get a bunch of pics. Angles, shadows, lighting can all change the size a deer appears to be. The rack would be not that important to me in aging process. While this deer appears to be stout, a different pic could show him sub 3 years old. Out of curiosity, would you pass him on a 5 acre tract because of his age?

Get a bunch of pics. Angles, shadows, lighting can all change the size a deer appears to be. The rack would be not that important to me in aging process. While this deer appears to be stout, a different pic could show him sub 3 years old. Out of curiosity, would you pass him on a 5 acre tract because of his age?
Sure I would. Its not my concern that I'm managing the herd, because , obviously I'm not doing that on 5 acres, lol. I just won't intentionally shoot an immature buck . Its just my personal standard .
This deer never gave a shot year before last . A new buck showed that was a hammer for my area. Unfortunately, my only legal daylight pic of him was on the evening I promised my daughter I'd go to the local high school football game where she plays in the band . A neighbor shot him 3 days later in his back yard . Here is a pic of the one that got away .

I'm gonna try to post the pic i promised in my post above, again.
20211029_081259.jpg
20211029_081259.jpg