Aftermarket trigger on 700.

If you want a BOLT that locks the bolt on Safety you should get a BOLT type that has three position Safety. There are several manufactures that make them. A Winchester Model 70, Ruger 77, Kimber are a few of them. You would need a Trigger compatible with the Three Position Safety on the Bolt.

Fire
Safety
Safety lock Bolt

There's a lot to be said about the 3 position firing pin block safety verses the trigger block style safety. Gentry makes a 3 position safety/bolt shroud for the Rem 700. It is quite a conversion, beyond the capabilities of most hobby gunsmiths. If a 3 position safety is used there are triggers available, mostly listed as "for Remington Clone". Just make sure the trigger has provisions for the bolt release, unless a side bolt release is installed to replace the trigger mounted one. Again, the Shilen trigger can be used when a 3 position safety is install, with just a small modification, of course. The safety lever can be removed from some of the Trigger Techs, and the bolt release retained. Or, the safety lever can just be cut-off, just make sure the lever is in the "fire" position.

Remington abandoned the bolt locking feature because of accidental discharges when moving the safety lever from "safe" to the "fire" position . Sometimes done when unloading the rifle. People died from those accidental discharges and law suits filed and won by the plaintiffs. It cost Remington a bundle of money. Most go the other way if the trigger has the "old bolt lock when safety is on" feature, so the rifle can be unloaded with the safety "on". It is a trigger block type safety, and if the internals of the trigger become dirty / gummed-up or the trigger is not properly adjusted, accidental discharges are quite possible and have happened. "If a trigger has adjusting screws, someone is gonna' turn 'um."
☝️

Do you guys running no bolt lock ever find your bolt open and round missing when you unsling your rifle?
I usually (98% of the time) don't carry a slung rifle with a round chambered. I don't carry a round chambered unless the rifle is in my hands. The only time I do sling a loaded round, is if on an active stalk on a game animal, and I need to check my binos.
But if I am just taking my rifle for a hike in a pack or on my shoulder, it is on an empty chamber with rounds in the mag only.

Have you ever shot a BixN Andy Tac Sport Pro or Pro X?

Personally, I would NOT want a trigger that locks the bolt closed when on safety. Means you have to take off safety to unload a chambered live round. I would rather be able to do that with a safety engaged.
The only downside to a Tikka…

Thats why I like one that the bolt locks on it is because I've lost rounds on the way to deer stand. The bolt would open and drop down and cartridges will fall out, or the bolt would be slightly open when you went to shoot.

Recent Posts