Aftermarket Ruger Amer. stocks anyone??

Litehiker

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and want a better stock.

Anyone know of a source?

Since Ruger American rifles use the unusual (and very good) V bedding/pillar blocks any stock maker for that rifle will need to have slots for the V blocks. This should not be a problem for good stock makers. I want one mainly for competitive shooting and a bit of coyote hunting. The plastic stock goes back on if the distance or elevation goes up.

I have been considering a Wenig custom laminated thumbhole stock with a roll-over cheekpiece if all all else fails. I have a Browning version for my Browning A-Bolt and it's so nice to shoot but hell to carry up mountains.

Thanks gents,

I looked at their site and they seem to be like Wienig, offering many high quality stock designs, materials and finishes. Right now I'm on hold waiting to talk to them.

If your question was about the pillars and trigger guars boyds provides those and recommends you bed them. Thats what the extra $15 price is for.

shooter,

Thanks for the reminder on bedding.

Yep, bedding those aluminum V pillar/lugs is important. I like Marine-Tex for that stuff. It is strong and absolutely does not shrink.

I have been considering a Wenig custom laminated thumbhole stock with a roll-over cheekpiece if all all else fails. I have a Browning version for my Browning A-Bolt and it's so nice to shoot but hell to carry up mountains.

It's tough to carry because of the thumbhole stock? The cheekpiece? Could you add a little more information? Thanks,

phor,

It's hell to carry because it literally weighs more than 3 times as much as the plastic stock. Laminated stocks are HEAVY! All that resin under pressure impregnates the wood and adds the weight. But that weight does cut down on recoil a bit.

I'll get a laminated stock for the Ruger American because I will only be carrying it with a daypack for coyote hunting, not my winter backpack which I carry when deer hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.