Advice

The Accustocks are very accurate and lightweight, I think my long action stock was 30oz, but they can be finicky if you don't torque the action screws properly. There is a specific sequence.

I would also recommend looking through the classifieds on here. I know I wish I would've before going the custom route. You can find some REALLY good deals if you're patient. Just make sure it's from a well known member with some feedback and you're good. I've since bought several items including a pretty decent scope for way cheaper than retail and haven't had a problem with anyone.

You can have all the benefits of a custom rifle without paying for a custom rifle. Pick the action of your choice, Remington or Savage are the easiest to find barrels. Get a Savage prefit or a Remage barrel, which is the same thing with Remington threads and a matching barrel nut. Get a GO gauge and scope scotch tape to headspace the barrel. Either build a vice with 2X6s or buy one. Buy a barrel wrench, install yourself.

Bed the rifle with Devcon or the agent of your choice in the stock of your choice. Congratulations, you now have a high quality rifle without all the smith costs.

I've built 7-8 rifles this way and can't tell the accuracy difference from custom, if your accuracy needs are 1/3-1/2 MOA.

The critical factor to meet your budget if you go this semi-custom route will be your choice of stock. I am partial to McMillan but that would blow your budget. I have also used Boyds laminate with good success but you will need to install pillars yourself.

I find Remingtons easier to bed than Savages, and aftermarket triggers are better. After my first Remage I'm now going with another Remage over a Savage.

If you were wanting to use this for long range shooting and Deer hunting I would say go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. If you also want to hunt Elk you should have something with more downrange energy in a 7mm or 30 cal. I like the Tikka rifles for a factory offering.

as I am sitting here reading all the great feedback I think I have reached a few conclusions. My future gun will be used mostly for 500 yards and in, mostly for deer. I want a rifle I can learn to be proficient with and still use for elk one day. I'm thinking the 7mm would probably be the most versatile but the long range hunter looks so big and cumbersome. I like the 11/111 fcns because it has the accustock, is lighter, and easier to carry. I know I said I would love to not be limited so I have the option to shoot at further distances but I like the .30 cal bullet. I'm wondering if I just go with the 30.06 in either the savage or tikka with the 22 inch barrel and just put great optics in and learn to be super proficient with it even out to longer distances than 500 yards in case the opportunity comes a long. i know it's not a flat shooting cartridge. I just don't know why I like the 30.06 so much. Maybe it's because it's the only deer rifle I have shot. That is why I want someone else with far more experience to talk me out of it. There are too many variables and I am going to drive myself crazy trying to decide.

as I am sitting here reading all the great feedback I think I have reached a few conclusions. My future gun will be used mostly for 500 yards and in, mostly for deer. I want a rifle I can learn to be proficient with and still use for elk one day. I'm thinking the 7mm would probably be the most versatile but the long range hunter looks so big and cumbersome. I like the 11/111 fcns because it has the accustock, is lighter, and easier to carry. I know I said I would love to not be limited so I have the option to shoot at further distances but I like the .30 cal bullet. I'm wondering if I just go with the 30.06 in either the savage or tikka with the 22 inch barrel and just put great optics in and learn to be super proficient with it even out to longer distances than 500 yards in case the opportunity comes a long. i know it's not a flat shooting cartridge. I just don't know why I like the 30.06 so much. Maybe it's because it's the only deer rifle I have shot. That is why I want someone else with far more experience to talk me out of it. There are too many variables and I am going to drive myself crazy trying to decide.
With the proper bullet the 30-06 is just fine for shooting long range with.

With a Savage long action you could simply swap barrels out and go from a ..243 to a .308 or a .270 or a 30'06 (And plenty of others) as they use the same bolt face and magazine. I have two .243's on LA receivers, one was an '06 and I can swap it back any time I want. Factory barrel take offs are $50-$100 on gunbroker and ebay and ahoot pretty decent most times. Look on YouTube for "Savage rebarrel" and see how easy it is.

It seems as though there are reviews strongly in both dorections for savage.

H, I don't see anyone negative on the Savage in this thread. Most are very positive. there is a slight waning on the Tika (mostly do to their stock) and some negative feedback on remington due to their QC.

Savage rifles have a reputation for shooting well. Most of us who shoot them love them because we can easily but a custom quality barrel on them and have them shooting on par with a lot of customs. Until you own one it's kinda hard to explain the following they have. The draw back it some think they are kinda ugly and they are. But they can shoot so darn well that it is easy to overlook their cosmetics.

Have a look at the Savagearms.com site. Look at how many target rifles Savage makes and their cost. Companies that make bad shooting rifles do not make many target rifles. Remington hardly makes target rifles at all. Savage rifles aren't exactly cheap, especially when you get into the higher models. They run on par or are more expensive than some Remingtons.

I'm most concerned about the accuracy and dependability, I don't give a rats hiney what they look like. You have never experienced the FTF a lot of complaints state?

FTF on a Savage? NO. Have not seen any complaints about that on a Savage.

This question is kinda makes me laugh, cause the only rifle I have that has ever had FTF is my custom Remington! That is because it has a light firing-pin to improve the lackluster lock time on a Remington. Because of light pin, if I use a primer the has a hard cup, like a CCI, I get a FTF about 1~2 outta 10~15 rounds. Savages have a fairly strong spring and have a pretty fast locktime, they are not prone to FTF.

I'm most concerned about the accuracy and dependability, I don't give a rats hiney what they look like. You have never experienced the FTF a lot of complaints state?
A common cause of FTF occurs on the Accutrigger when the user does not place his finger square on the trigger which does not depress the center blade/safety.
It will appear to have fired but it doesn't drop the firing pin. This is a safety feature/ pilot error. Try pressing the trigger without pressing the center blade, it appears to fire, you will have to cock and reset it to fire again, but the pin won't strike. I learned of this while shooting with gloves on in really cold weather.
This safety feature is why Savage can have their triggers down around ~2.5lbs from the factory while Rems are set at 4-5lbs and are not usable on an accurate gun. The blade in the trigger can be easily removed and does not affect the trigger pull but know what you are getting in to by removing a safety feature. If you practice proper safety you will never have a problem and you don't have to dump another $150 for an aftermarket trigger.

Last edited:
The other cool thing about savage is easily obtainable aftermarket bolt faces - if you were to get a 111 in 30-06, and down the road decide you want to try a magnum, it's as simple as a new barrel and magnum bolt face. With a Remington, you are looking for a whole new bolt. I'm not sure what the conversion is like in a tikka (which are all long actions, from .223 up), I have heard it's possible.

morning, the older Sako's shot very well. cons the older Sako's r
hard to fine parts. the older Remington's were very good shooting
rifles. the 721, 722, 725 were very good actions. I bought 6 rem. 721
06's replaced the barrels with Hart, shilen, and douglas barrels. never
had one not shoot good handloads and timmeys and H&S precision stocks.
the contour of the replacement barrels has a bias towards accuracy.
I always use 5.5 to 7 contour barrels. TUM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.