Advice an input for those who reload for 308 Winchester and own 10FCP rifles

I am about to FINALLY get an adequate scope to shoot longer range with my 24" heavy contour 5R barreled 308/W Savage 10FCP SR. A full year ago found myself in a pinch of sorts and had to use it for deer season for myself and allow my son to use my T3. I simply didn't have time to buy dies and make my own loads before opening day, so I opted for instead using Federal Power Shock ammo because it's on line reviews were nothing short of stellar and it was by coincidence the rock bottom cheapest 308 ammo suitable for deer hunting I could find, surprisingly OTC near my home.

Thankfully the federal ammo not only lived up to the hype but actually exceeded it by giving me .5 MOA and even smaller 100 and 200 yard groups. I have amassed and presorted Winchester brass and also have 200 pieces of Lapua brass. I have on hand Forster BR/FL sizing die, Redding body only sizing die, Lee collet die and a Forster MM/BR bullet seating die. I will use Imperial dry neck lube prior to bullet seating.

I have both IMR 4064 and IMR 4166 Enduron and Federal 210 GMM LRG/RFL primers. I plan on trying both powders and let my rifle select the winner.

Even though I have been reloading for over 25 years I have a few questions and requests for advice.

First off considering the 180 grain Federal Power Shock shot so very well should I take a loaded round and use its length measurement from the ogive to base as my starting point of bullet seating depth with my 175 SMKHP's? I have a Caldwell chrono I will use to help find performance nodes.

Lastly could someone who reloads 308 Winchester share with me their step by step reloading process they use to achieve maximum consistent reloads so I can compare them to mine

Thanks a great deal,
Art.
I have a question,I have been looking at a Savage .308 solid bottom, my only question about it is it comes in a 1 in 12 twist,I shoot powde rcoated bullets love the results but knowing that a hard cast powder coated bullet is shorter than the conventional jacketed of the same weight what do you think the maximum bullet weight I can go to in a mould that will stabilize it in that twist, Pete

I am about to FINALLY get an adequate scope to shoot longer range with my 24" heavy contour 5R barreled 308/W Savage 10FCP SR. A full year ago found myself in a pinch of sorts and had to use it for deer season for myself and allow my son to use my T3. I simply didn't have time to buy dies and make my own loads before opening day, so I opted for instead using Federal Power Shock ammo because it's on line reviews were nothing short of stellar and it was by coincidence the rock bottom cheapest 308 ammo suitable for deer hunting I could find, surprisingly OTC near my home.

Thankfully the federal ammo not only lived up to the hype but actually exceeded it by giving me .5 MOA and even smaller 100 and 200 yard groups. I have amassed and presorted Winchester brass and also have 200 pieces of Lapua brass. I have on hand Forster BR/FL sizing die, Redding body only sizing die, Lee collet die and a Forster MM/BR bullet seating die. I will use Imperial dry neck lube prior to bullet seating.

I have both IMR 4064 and IMR 4166 Enduron and Federal 210 GMM LRG/RFL primers. I plan on trying both powders and let my rifle select the winner.

Even though I have been reloading for over 25 years I have a few questions and requests for advice.

First off considering the 180 grain Federal Power Shock shot so very well should I take a loaded round and use its length measurement from the ogive to base as my starting point of bullet seating depth with my 175 SMKHP's? I have a Caldwell chrono I will use to help find performance nodes.

Lastly could someone who reloads 308 Winchester share with me their step by step reloading process they use to achieve maximum consistent reloads so I can compare them to mine

Thanks a great deal,
Art.
If it were me (which it is not) you have components to closely make the factory loads. First i would use factory length since you have same bullets. Shoot some factory over chrony. whatever powder you use i would try to get same or close to speed. Use the Federal brass and fl size. You have Federal primers. Might work and pretty simple for starting loads. Just me but i would never start at max loads. Very seldom have i ever had my best loads on high end.

X-3 on moose's comments. You can use the fgmm load with 4064 and it will be the same hole the factory rounds.

I reload for a Savage Model 12 F T/T with 30 inch barrel in .308. Here is a copy of the checklist I use. There are check boxes after each appropriate item to check off as I go (they did nto copy over). Ita also allows me to pcik up where I left off if I am interrupted.

Reloading Checklist Date: ___________
Firearm___________________________________________________________ Cal_________
Load Data Source________________________________________ Cases _____ ______ _______
# Start Fired # Reload #
Case Mfr___________________________________________ Lot #___________________________
Max Mfr Case OL ___________ Case Trim-to-Length ___________ Mfr Cartridge OAL ___________
Powder Mfr________________________________ Lot #__________________ Powder Wt_______
Bullet________________________________ Lot #___________________ Seating Depth___________
  • Primer Mfr_____________________ Primer Size________________ Lot #___________________
Reloading Sequence
Case: New Fired New-to-me Once Fired Swaged Uniform Primer Pocket Debur Flash Hole
Case: Deprime Clean (Tumble) Inspect Weigh Ave Wt:_________________ Note: Tumble with Walnut media and few drops Nu FInish
Case: Headspace (Prec Mic) ______________ Run out (Case Master) ____________
Neck Thickness __________ Turn Expand Neck - Mandrel _____ Turn-to Thickness___________
Lubricate Case Pistol Case: Flare
Resize: Full Length Neck Diameter ____ Bushing Size____ Shoulder Bump_____
Case Length ______ Trim Case Trim-to Length______ Debur Chamfer
Clean (ultrasonic) Dry Check/Clean Primer Pocket Anneal: Note: Ultrasonci: Hot water, drop of Dawn and 1 tsp Lemishine.
  • Prime: Clean Neck Dry Neck Lube
  • Powder Load ______________ gr
  • Bullet: Seat Depth ___________ Jump: ___________ COAL ____________ Crimp
Check: Case Gauge Ammo Checker
Check Run out: __________ Concentricity ____________ Adjust if needed
Final No. Rounds Loaded ________ Rejects/Culls _____________
Notes:
Version: Dec 8, 2020

See you have been coler,BUT not like up here!! Did you ever try any cast bullets? I have used cast and then powder coated in my .454 Casul and 10mm with great results. I used Noe's and Accurates moulds. i see Noe makes a smooth sided bullet mould to be powder coated bullet,but I love the looks of th 225 gr and am not sure if it would work, although it is somewhat shorter than it's counter part in a jacketed bullet. Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.