adjusting Creed more type sights

mlg123

Does anyone have information for making adjustments and using the assorted screws at the bottom of a Creedmore type sight.

I now have one but have no experiance with them.

Hi Mlg123. Wdfod here. Glad you could you make it over. The weekends are slow here but I'm sure someone here should be able to help you come monday.

Tomorrow click "who's on line" and then compare that to HWW. This place is very active compared to over there.

There are a few that shoot but generaly I would have to say left.

When is someone going to answer your question? I know someone here has used creedmore sights at least enough to help you with your question.

I would also reccomend looking for a sihlouette (sp?) shooting forum or a black powder or gun historian forum as well. Didn't the sight come with directions? Can you post a picture of the sight?

mlg 123,
Please could specify what type of creedmoor sight you have,there many types with different styles of adjustant,i have had several types on my Pedersoli sharps rifles.

Some have windage adjustable bases with a vernier scale, Soule sights have a micrometre adjustable windage base,others also have a fine adjustment on the eye piece.
Cheaper versions do not have any windage adjustment and are considered more durable, these work together with a windage adj. front sight. I used this combination to gain a second place in my first ever Quigley match in 1998.

The base screws can be a little concerning in order to set the correct angle of the post, etc. Give me a discription and i will do my best to help you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Centre Punch.

Ok, thanks for the reply and sorry it took me so long to get back.

Firstly, the sight in question is the least expensive one from Cabela's (I try not to use "cheap" when discussing my own stuff).

The physical features are:
4 1/2" tall including top adjusting knob,
side scale from "0" to "250",
two locking nuts on elevation adjustment screw,
crown of adjustment screw is knurled with out driver slot,
eye cup has small amount of side to side adjustment,
no indication marks on eye cup,
four screws at bottom of sight,
none have any scales or markings,
one holds sight to base,
two screws on either side of base that push sight from side to side (when these are loosened, the sight rocks from side to side),
one screw in center of sight right between these two screws.

That's it for features.

Ok, now its question time.

What screw can I remove to take the sight off of the base without messing everything up?

How much MOA adjustment is one turn of the thumb screw on top?

How much "windage" (in MOA) is applied by one turn of the two side to side screws at the base?

Is the eye cup interchangable with the one that has multiple sized apatures?

Do I really need to remove this sight from my gun before anyone sees me with it and I embarrass myself?

I would really like to retain it for at least a little while as the nice sights are a whole lot more expensive (po'boy has to save up).

mlg123,

I checked out which sight you mean't at Cabelas site and unfortunately you picked out the worst one when it comes to adjustment. To save yourself a lot of frustration upgrade to the better sights as soon as possible,if you can push it that far get the Soule it is an exquisite sight, a friend of mine had one on his Browning 1885 highwall BPCR. I had the Universal Creedmoor combined with a windage adjustable front sight.

All is not lost and although your sight is graduated, without a vernier scale,precise adjustmentis not possible,but there is a formula to help you to calculate the amount of sight elevation equal to 1 moa from a 100yrd zero. Thia all depends on your sight radius,my Sharps had a 34" barrel which gave a sight radius of 40". Here goes;

<u>(sight radius x 2 x 3,142)divided by 360 degrees</u>
60 minutes per degree

Which in the case of my rifle that has a 40" sight radius is

<u>40 x 2 x 3,142 divided by 360</u>
which= 0.6982 divided by 60 = 0.0116 or aprox .011" per moa.

The only way you will be able to find out the amount of moa per revolution of the elevation screw is to measure the threads per inch of the screw and divide it into 1000, i.e.

40 tpi = .025" per revolution or approx 2 moa based on the previous calculation

If you use the two bottom side screws to adjust the windage i'm afraid you will undo all that you have previously done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
this because the side screws cause the post to pivot about the centre screw and the post then scribes an arc from side to side eliminating your elevation settings. It might not matter that much at 100yrds but at 600yrds it can be quite substantial.
Combine these figures with drop tables for your given bullet, record everything and do your working before you go shooting and you should be somewhere on target.
The vernier or the Soule sights eliminate all of the problems and you will still have to calculate your amount of elevation per minute of angle but you will be able to move your eyepiece the exact amount. I hope this helps, happy adjusting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Centre Punch.

PS. What rifle are these sights sitting on?

Center Punch,

THank you for the input, any and all information is greatly appreciated.

I'll just have to start saving the spare change for one of the nice sight sets.

The gun itself is one of the Italian replicas of a '74 Sharps. Looks good and is shooting about 3" @ 100yd with factory lead ammo.

Really &amp; truely just a toy. I always wanted one &amp; now I have one.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.