Adding hunter made calls to electrinic calls

Hunter66654

I have read about great advances in some of the electronic call systems on the market which include already down loaded multiple calls even with ability to switch between calls or have 2 calls at once. I have not found equipment for a hunter to tape sounds for a new call and to be able to add this sound track to an electronic call with enough volume and clarity to be useful.
For example a hunter hunting bear with dogs had 1 dog killed and another injured by wolves before he and other hunters could get to were the dogs had a bear treed. If you wanted to use the sound of dogs treeing , what equipment would you use to record it and what equipment could it be added to for playing back?

I am not sure this is the place for this thread, but did not see a better one.

Well, I don't know how old you are but we used to have these things called tape recorders, if you can get a hold of one in decent shape and find a good speaker for it you can record anything you want.

Well I am older than dirt and very familiar with tape recorders. Enough so, to know that most small hand held units will not give you the clarity or volume to make a successful unit. My posts asked for information on what equipment would be useable to accomplish this and be able to transfer to electronic calls. Your reply was not helpful. You might want to grow up and reply with useful information or not at all.

I don't know if this will help anyone or not.. I have had a few years where I have trapped almost 100 Coyotes. I also have ran Hounds for over 20 years... I have first hand information of wolves coming in on the hounds while trailing and treeing but never actually been there when dogs were killed.. Guys that I have ran with have had their dogs killed. Wolves become highly aggressive the closer to their denning area any trespasser gets.
I believe a hunter would have a lot more success if they hunt in breeding season. Most Hounds are killed by Wolves after the first of the year and closer to the end of January on. When the Wolves start protecting their core denning areas is when it becomes deadly for the Hounds... If you can find a denning area and wait till full on breeding season I think any dog noise call would work way better then any other time... The whole pack is on the job protecting this area from any threat to its territory or denning area. Howling, coyote or dog noises should bring a response from any member in hearing distance. Wolves have such big territories compared to coyotes that it becomes a lot harder to determine there denning areas... With coyotes its easy drive the roads and look for scat during denning season and let a few howls go. Wolves and Coyotes mark their territories in the same way. If you are out During breeding and denning season and find a lot of fresh scat on a certain road or anywhere along natural and unnatural lines of structure. (roads, rivers, Railroads, Highways, ect.) This would be a great place to try and call using K9 sounds... I don't know if this will help anyone but with Wolf Seasons closing later in the spring I think later is better... Not that isn't a good time to shoot a wolf... dgarrett

i can't say i have tried it yet, but i am getting the wife a Mic for Christmas that hooks right up to the laptop for recording her music. I imagine you could get a similar set up that wouldn't be to heavy to pack around. If anyone has hounds i'll be glad to go out and try recording them for some new sounds :)

I have a Foxpro and have done what you are asking with pretty good success.

Foxpro has a program which allows you to upload in various audio formats.

All you need to do is get your hands on a decent device that will record in one of those audio formats. In my case I just pulled out my Iphone and used the voice record function. You need to make sure that your recording is fairly loud, but no so loud it gets distorted or you will obviously have some sound quality issues. The Iphone works great for this because it actually has a graph on it which shows how loud it is recording. Then it's just a matter of getting it from the phone into the Foxpro. Easy peasy......

I actually recorded some bird sounds off of a website just playing it through my computer speakers and then recording them with my Iphone and put them on the Foxpro. They sounded surprisingly good and the caller will play them plenty loud.

If you want to make your own, check this out:
Varmint Al's Hunting Page I made one. Fairly cheap and easy and totally customizable. Spend as much or as little as you want.

Then use an MP3 player with your own custom sounds. I download all kinds of sound files for free and use Audacity to create custom sound files. You can even make YouTube videos into sound files and then use audacity to pick out the sections of the files you want to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.