Need advice for calling

CWM-RHG

Previously Chuck Moles
Hello, I am very new to wolf hunting and really dont know much about how to begin. We did our first official "wolf" hunt today. Set up an electronic call with baying dogs barking and put out coyote urine in a 50yd circle around call. Set up about shooting platform 700 yds away in a place that gave us great visibility. We had fresh wolf sign in that canyon a week ago, you could see where they were chasing deer around. This area has regular wolf sign year around. Any advice as to a better set up or different call? We're up in North Idaho, in about 3-4 ft of snow. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hello, I am very new to wolf hunting and really dont know much about how to begin. We did our first official "wolf" hunt today. Set up an electronic call with baying dogs barking and put out coyote urine in a 50yd circle around call. Set up about shooting platform 700 yds away in a place that gave us great visibility. We had fresh wolf sign in that canyon a week ago, you could see where they were chasing deer around. This area has regular wolf sign year around. Any advice as to a better set up or different call? We're up in North Idaho, in about 3-4 ft of snow. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Find the elk, you'll find the wolves. Wolves follow elk beards.

Wolf 1.jpg
Hi I call wolves in using hand wolf howls and Primos Elk reed distress calls .. the most important is wind or scent .. I like a calm day … there is a post on here that I did .. I will find n repost if you have any specific questions just ask .. I have called in lots .. here it is … see if I can find other post I have done … https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...ad-when-the-hunter-becomes-the-hunted.142848/

Last edited:
Wolf 2.jpg
Hi I call wolves in using hand wolf howls and Primos Elk reed distress calls .. the most important is wind or scent .. I like a calm day … there is a post on here that I did .. I will find n repost if you have any specific questions just ask .. I have called in lots .. here it is … see if I can find other post I have done … https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...ad-when-the-hunter-becomes-the-hunted.142848/
this post is at the same stand ground blind as the big Timber color Wolf in 2014 ….here is the other that day
Called in 5 Bambi Killers … 9/18/2012
Took my Mentee hunting this morning back by 9:45am .. he had his chance on the 5 by 7 WT but it stopped at 31 yds and didn't get shot off ..i watch it unfold .. then 15 minutes later a young doe came running across mill cut just missing him by 80 yrds and another went up away from him then 5 wolves showed up in valley i cow elk distress called them up towards me but the lead wolf a Black came up to ground blind at 20 yds and then i had to vent him
sHa_shakeshout.gif
and spook the pack 2 more blacks and 2 timber colors but 1 of the timbers was a whitest from shoulder and then had a blue phase going back to hips they were about 200 yds in open cut when i ventilated the black he ran into block of tree's and came out in regen older cut that i saw the shot .. he won, t be going far,,, the others came out about 1 mile away and went down the road for about half a mile as i watch in spotting scope.. but short one black.. went back in the afternoon and looked .. to much regen but got these.. next time i go my 7mm Mag will be with me instead of the 30-30.. had a great day

Last edited:
wolves 3.jpg
here is another post... and the other 2 I got in 2014 6 days apart
Try Wolf Calling … 10/19/2012
Wow i love calling Wolves
sSc_hiding.gif
..did it again today and counted a Coup on one Wolf about a 110#.. coup for me means putting the scope on him and releasing the safety .. then not shooting.. was out with my youngest boy(21) looking for his Bull Moose .. was calling when the Pack started calling so i called back and within 15 minutes i called two out on the pipeline at 1000yds and then keep calling till they got too 475 yds to where my boy had walked to earlier,, then the lead wolf sniffed the ground and did a hurried retreat back away from us.. i counted a coup a couple minutes later as i called him out at 500 yds broadside
character0175.gif
.. didn,t have my elk call or i would of got them to commit closer.. got a couple of Grouse today and called to a Cow Moose and saw some WT's too..
for any hunters that haven't tried calling Wolves it is alot of fun fun fun!!!
sHa_shakeshout.gif

Last edited:
another old post I did .. 4/4/2013
called from lawn chair in front of tent.JPG
… Yes to calling and waiting they should come to you.. just make sure the way u come into your calling site is not the way they will come in as they may hold up once they cross your sign.. the other way to finish the deal is then predator call once they have answered i just use a cow Elk call and then squeel it(cow elk distress) but they will be awhile coming in and may send a scout as they did last year to me .. it showed up at 20 ft then went out to 20 yds when i vented it .. the other 4 wolves were coming at 150 yds slowly but some times when i called and watched them 1 1/2 miles away they came loping right away and were there in 15 minutes and 60yds away .. some times when calling if you go back the next morning they will show up right where you called here is a pic of one at my truck and tent last year .. i called at dark the night before and got no answer.. also 2 Blacks came in while icefishing the next morning from calling last year

as allways this is just

Food for Thought

David
smile.gif

here is another (10/12/2013
008_zpsb94830cf.jpg
and a picture of one that crossed road in front of me so I howled as I stopped .. I then howled and it lay down in submission so I walk in a bit to get this picture as it left .. Wolf hunting basics
thinking-006.gif

1.howling to locate at night
test.gif

the calling part is a tool we use to hunt most animals same for Wolves

2. set-up in good spot the next morning and call but be ready
fighting0007.gif
as with Coyotes they will come for over 3 to 5 miles and it may take some time

it should be a quite morning no wind or very little

3. types of calls .. I used howling to call in 3 different Wolf packs or single last year
47b20s0.gif

Elk distress call or predator call will work great or Fawn distress as others have said they were rattling or Moose calling ..

I called in one pack using a Elk reed distress call last year and have used this before and called them into a ground blind from 1 1/2 miles too 2 miles away

if you want to be a part of predator control in your favorite hunting area then give this a try..

its just like calling Moose/Elk/Deer/Coyote/Turkey until you try it you will never know

They will come .. I have done calling of Wolves when I wanted to and have been successful ...my buddy Tim has been with me a few times when calling them and last year my Mentee was there for one pack(vented one) and my youngest son was there for another pack which I counted a coup and let live

so this fall and winter in your area try hunting Wolves and when they howl back and are coming its like having a Bull coming its exciting as heck
sSig_cool2.gif

Fun fun fun
sHa_shakeshout.gif

Food for Thought

David
smile.gif

Miskiki Lake called in howling 2012

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.