Action rocking in stock

nwhite2

I just got my manners stock delivered and I went to install the barreled action and after I got it mounted if I push on the front of the barrel or the tang it teeters back and forth. Can anyone give me some advice or have any ideas on how to fix it?

Without a mini-chassis, Manners stocks require you pillar bed the action, they are not drop-in stocks.

If you choose a stock without a mini chassis, you must have it glass bedded with pillars. At minimum, the pillars must be installed and the lug area bedded. The pillars prevent stock crush over time, keeping the torque values consistent. We build our stocks with tolerances needed for a competent gunsmith to bed your action. The glass bedding will ensure your action stays secure and is repeatable for a lifetime of use. The bedding will give a mirrored fit of your barreled action and will help with accuracy, repeatability, and longevity.

sounds like your recoil lug may be bottoming out in the recoil lug recess in the stock. If this is the case, you will need to relieve this area with a dremel tool, even if you bed it.
Is there a way to check if this is the case?

use a narrow strip of paper and lay it in the recoil lug recess, then lay your barreled action in the stock. See if the strip of paper will slide out easily with the barreled action in place, or if it is 'pinned' in there.

use a narrow strip of paper and lay it in the recoil lug recess, then lay your barreled action in the stock. See if the strip of paper will slide out easily with the barreled action in place, or if it is 'pinned' in there.
I'll give that a try

Is there a way to check if this is the case?
sounds like your recoil lug may be bottoming out in the recoil lug recess in the stock. If this is the case, you will need to relieve this area with a dremel tool, even if you bed it.
THIS^^^^^. I just went through this. My recoil lug was larger than factory recoil lug. Didn't catch it when I put it together. Would consistently throw fliers . It was bedded using the factory recoil lug new lug was larger so I took a dremel and made space below the recoil lug. Re Bedded stock,no rocking, shoots great, took care of the problem.
What LaHunter gave is good advice.

The action needs to be bedded and this is the answer you are needing
Without a mini-chassis, Manners stocks require you pillar bed the action, they are not drop-in stocks.

If you choose a stock without a mini chassis, you must have it glass bedded with pillars. At minimum, the pillars must be installed and the lug area bedded. The pillars prevent stock crush over time, keeping the torque values consistent. We build our stocks with tolerances needed for a competent gunsmith to bed your action. The glass bedding will ensure your action stays secure and is repeatable for a lifetime of use. The bedding will give a mirrored fit of your barreled action and will help with accuracy, repeatability, and longevity.

Recent Posts