ackley

I agree with this statement. For me I did two ackleys 7-08 and 338-06 for two reasons. The AI 40* shoulder keeps case trimming to a minimum and reduces bolt thrust. The blown out case and shoulder slow down the brass flow when fired resulting in less case length growth. The second reason is a slight gain in accuracy and energy. In the 338-06 not so much but the 7-08 AI runs right on the heels of a 280 but in a short action. The downside is fire forming brass. If the rifle is meant for varmint shooting then this can be done while shooting PD's but for a hunting rifle this can be a long process. I usually do at least a hundred cases and if brass is good quality this hundred will last the life of the rifle. For a varmint rifle I would just pick a number to fire form and then buy that many cases from the same lot to keep everything consistent.
I agree. I have several AIs. My primary reason for "improving" was reducing case growth and trimming

ye
Do you use the same charge during and after fireforming? I have been playing with that 7-08ai a lot lately and use 36- 37gr of varget to fireform the brass. Any more than that and it wants to beat up the brass. After ff, I use 41-43 and it's fine.
yes, I use the same load, and it's a similar sized case to the .308. But I'm burning slower powders, h4350 and h 4831. My 6mm ai started life as a .243, once the throat started showing erosion, I had it reamed, it's a #1 so no problem with action length.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.