.30 ackley

Just a note on turning FL size dies 1/8th of a turn; that is a change of almost 9 thou. Normal headspace tolerance for bottle neck cases runs about 6-7 thou, max, so you could easily go from not quite enough shoulder set back to a good bit too much in a single step.

I told him 1/8th of a turn to get him close to the headspace number. The case will be junk when he's done. When he goes from the bolt failing to close to where it closes he should still be within .005", and that's going to be close enough right now. If he were actually setting up the dies to size the case he might be moving 1/16 of a turn or even less with a shim or two.. The real thing he's trying to gain is the actual overall length of the case to find out if he has a number one or a number two chamber. But a reasonably close shoulder deminsion is a must before going further. My bet's on the number two.
Might add that even though most die manufacturers tell you to move the die in 1/16th of a turn increments; it's really too coarse of a move, and often there's .003 to .005" slop in the threads as well as flex in the lock rings.
gary

I don't have a caliper on hand, but the empty 338 Win Mag case length is a heavy 2.5 inches using a ruler. I will bring a caliper home and get a more precise measurement in the next couple of days. It is a touch longer than the 30-06 case that I compared it to, I will check it's length with a caliper as well.

I don't have a caliper on hand, but the empty 338 Win Mag case length is a heavy 2.5 inches using a ruler. I will bring a caliper home and get a more precise measurement in the next couple of days. It is a touch longer than the 30-06 case that I compared it to, I will check it's length with a caliper as well.

a 30-06 case length is 2.494, where as a .338 case is 2.50". If you build the cases out of .338 brass you will end up with a case length shorter than the 2.50" (probably shorter than the 30-06 at that) after fire forming. It would appear to me that your best case to use as a parent case is either the .308 Norma or the .300 Winchester. When you do your final trim before loading the fire forming loads; cut your overall length to where it's about .005" under max over length allowed in the chamber. The case will shorten a little bit depending on how much the shoulders and body have to move to fire form.
gary

I have a 30 Ackley # 2 Improved Looking through most of the replys I do not see that any body is concerned about what Action was used to put the rifle together with. Mine is on a Mauser action that will support fairly High pressuers. Before I Started loading the Rounds four the rifle It Might pay to check and see what your action will support as far as head pressure. that and check the head space before going much farther. It is more than likely fine but that round can be close to the max you want to fire in some actions.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.