ACI cosine indicator. Warrenty??

Well mine broke last year as well. Its on a 338 EDGE and it just came loose and fell apart. I tried putting it back together and it lasted a few shots was all.

I called him up to see what he could do and pretty much he said he dont fix them. He was kind enough to walk me through how to put it together, but I already informed him that I did that and it still wouldnt hold up.

I ended up sending it to Shawn and he fixed it for me.

The guy said hes never heard or seen of them breaking. Guess I was surprised as he was when it fell apart.

I was more dissappointed in the fact that he didn't sound like he would back up his product or fix it, much less replace it... The way I kinda took it from him was that if its on the militarys 50 BMG's and what not with no problems, that it certainly couldn't break on a 338 EDGE.

Since Shawn put mine back together, it has stood up to at least 75 rounds so far and seems to be working fine...

Interesting...

You guys probably know, but the version that NF is selling is supposedly waterproof (unlike the regular version--after talking to Mr. Brien about it) and built a bit tougher to meet some mil-spec. At least that was my take away. It's a few $ more, but I bit figuring it might last longer.

Dear Gentlemen:

If the ACI screw came loose on you, it is most probably because the screw was not torqued to the recommended 5 inch lbs of pressure.

We have had several problems like this in the past, as an example, and as per our first contract with the British SAS, one of their Shooter's was on the roof top of their embassy in Baghdad and decided to take the ACI apart. When he reassembled it, he severely overtightened the screw to the point that he actually pulled the bearing through the drum. It was sent to me where I took a look at it, replaced the drum and reinstalled it onto my 6.5 x 284 where it sits today; nine years later, and in perfect working order.

There has been a couple (and I mean a couple) of others that have asked for new screws due to the fact that they too had it loosen up on them, and a few others that have overtightened the screws so tight that they snapped them.

The bottom line is that with thread locker applied to that one screw during assembly, two washers and one drum, there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong. But, if you would like to discuss our warranty against defective parts, please feel free to give me a call at (800) 651-1050.

My Very Best Regards,

Ward W. Brien
President
Sniper Tools Design Company, LLC

Michael:

If the screw keeps coming loose, perhaps the thread locker has been removed? If that is the case, I would suggest utilizing a Very Small, Minuscule amount of Blue Lock-tight on the Interior threads of the screw hole at the time of reassembly. This is at your own risk as you do not want to get any of it on the washer or hub as it will cause a loss of smoothness. Or if you prefer, I am more than happy to apply new thread locker onto it for you. If you prefer that I do that, please scribe the seam (witness mark) of the ACI body and base to where it is leveled / zeroed to the bore of your barrel, so I can reassemble it to your same zero.

In addition, IF you have not invested in an inch pound torque wrench such as "Snap On's," which is calibrated for lighter readings, and which you can also utilize when tightening the screws on your ring caps, I would. It isn't too time consuming to check the tightness / torque settings of all screws and nuts before shooting. This is a mandatory procedure that All Military, Federal and LE Shooter's are taught when they go through school. Before shooting, or going out on a detail, or "Outside the wire," they always check their scope ring nuts and receiver screws, setting them to the manufacturer's specified torque settings.

If the receiver screws are not constant, the weapon will not shoot the same POA / POI.
If the ring nuts are not constant, the weapon will not shoot the same POA / POI.
If the bases are loose, the weapon will not shoot the same POA / POI.
If the ring caps are loose, the weapon will not shoot the same POA / POI.
If the ACI Screw is loose, the weapon will not shoot the same POA / POI.

I hope that I have been helpful in this matter as that is my sincere intent.

My Very Best Regards,

Ward W. Brien
President
Sniper Tools Design Company, LLC

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.