• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Accurizing and improving 338RUM 700 LH

wasgas

I am going to start building up my 338RUM. As it sits now it is bone stock 700BDL LH, I want to keep it a sportster model but want to make it accurate, light, and rugged. I want this rifle to be a shooter but I plan on hunting with it and carying it many miles on my back. I have adjusted the factory rigger down some and topped it off with a VXIII 8-25X50, but think that a Zeiss 6-20X50 might be better for it? I have not shot it much yet but so far it shoots about .75-1.5moa depending on load.

Where do I start? I know that I want to replace the stock, and at some point it will get a brake too.

I'll tell you a bit of the story behind my REM 700 LH 338 RUM.

Started out as a 338 Win Mag BDL model with a chopped off stock.

Swapped for a 338 RUM new factory sporter 26" take-off barrel. 40 bucks.

Didn't have the action or bolt face or lugs trued during the rebarrel. Told the smith I wouldn't blame him if it didn't shoot.

I had the Holland QD brake from the Win Mag barrel switched to he RUM barrel. I'd get good brake on there ASAP.

I remodeled the stock into a heavy but nifty configuration. I could spot all shots from close to far myself. That is a very big plus.

Stock was too heavy. There was a discussion here saying "tuperware" stocks were crap. I called BS on that one.

To prove myself I bought a Remington BDL totally tupperware stock, no aluminum whatever. I filled the magazine bottom and rigged it as an ADL as I glued in a follower to make it a single shot and tuck it on the barrelled and weight dropped to a bit over 9 pounds w/Weaver Tactical (old) scope w/burris signature rings and bipod.

The rig is solid less than 1/2 MOA @ 200 yards my zero distance. It shoots well enough to notice the effect of the 1/8th MOA clicks.

First run at a drop chart from JBM with 300 gr Berger Hybrids @ 2760 is spot on, and I mean spot on, elevation wise at the distances tested so far.(560/680/1003/1177)

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!:)