Accuracy question

zdr

I was chronoing some new loads this morning at the range. The wind was so gusty, I couldn't get a good idea of how they were grouping at 100yds. I quit after 10 rounds, but got to wondering about what could I learn if I had kept shooting - could I rely on the chronograph data alone to determine which load would be the most accurate?
Is it safe to assume the load with the lowest spread and std dev will be the most accurate?

Thanks!
Z

You can rely on the chronograph to give you the velocity of the fired round. The loads with the lowest spread and std deviation are not necessarily the most accurate. I would not shoot for accuracy in high winds. The only way to check accuracy is shoot them. Not some data. Shoot in calmer winds when working up loads. Chronograph is just a measuring tool.

Low ES is a good thing for long range accuracy but many time this does not correlate to short range accuracy so if it is really gusting all over the place you are pretty much screwed.

Having said that, I don't like to waste a range day and will try to shoot for accuracy when there is wind IF it is a consistent wind and not swirling. I put up wind flags to help judge when to pull the trigger. I also shorten up to 100 yards. But... if it is really windy I'll give it up and try another day.

I always look at grouping alone during load workup. Once I've found "the node", then I chrono it so I can feed my ballistic calculator the most vital piece of information (namely MV). If your chrono is at the recommended distance, and I will assume about 15 yds or so, wind hasn't had enough time to affect it in any significant amount. Then again, like I said I don't use the chrono for grouping.

You could have learned about shooting in the wind.

Well, I tried, but it was gusting so bad there was no way I could have been consistent. Since I was trying to work up some loads, I thought it would be best to try another day. As I left I was seconding guessing my decision and wondering if the chrono data would be a substitute for groups on paper.
z

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.