? about dialing a scope.

chrisC

Does your scope have to be set on a certain power for those of you that dial or use clicks on a target turrent type of scope, when using a scope with a SFP reticle?

if your dialing the turrets it dont matter.

P.S. its when you use the MIL dot retical that you have to have it on the right power.;-}

like for my elcheapo barska it has to be on 10 power for it to be right. and it helps to make sure its right by putting a known sized target at a known range and mil it at your scopes said setting ;-}

Does your scope have to be set on a certain power for those of you that dial or use clicks on a target turrent type of scope, when using a scope with a SFP reticle?

YES in most case it needs to be on max power for your dialed values to match the adjustment values of the optic. The SFP optic is not the same size at 3x as it is at 10 thus if your correct at 3x and then dial 10x for your shot you have entered the wrong adjustment value, and you miss.

As long as you are using the center crosshair it doesn't matter what power you are on.

If you have a ranging or BDC style reticle and you want to use something besides the center crosshairs then you have to have any SFP set to the correct power for the reticle to subtend (measure out) correctly.

Scot E.

NO, "Scoot E" and "submoa" got you covered............. It doesn't matter for a dead hold at center of cross hair aim. I only buy moa or mil dot reticles for a backup emergency range finder. I do not use my reticle for anything but measuring targets at a known distance. That is when the specific magnification matters. I dial right in for my shots so on 6x or 24x it makes no difference. That is why the "need" for a ffp is so overrated to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.