? about bad barrel blank

Never heard that USPS will not deliver to a known busines? If they are closed for the holidays the local post office knows that. I wouldn't worry just yet, especially when the parcel is in the right locality.

Never heard that USPS will not deliver to a known busines? If they are closed for the holidays the local post office knows that. I wouldn't worry just yet, especially when the parcel is in the right locality.
I just spoke to the Post office and they will try to deliver the package one more time. I'm guessing they know the business is closed, that's why they haven't attempted a third delivery. The post office will hold the package for 15 days before sending it back to me, so that gives the business plenty of time to either request another delivery or go pick it up from the post office.

I heard back from Wilson barrels today and their first note is that the crown is damaged, they said it looks like it was dropped on a cement floor or something hard. They also said that the bore on the muzzle is peened over on a couple of lands, and there is no chamfer to make a smooth exit for the bullet. They also said the reads on the muzzle end of .005" is good and the bow of .010"/.012" in the center is not a concern, but they were going to do more inspections and get back to me.
They got back to me and here is what they found:
The ID of the barrel looks very good both with the naked eye and a bore scope, the chamber could use a polish, but the throat is of concern. They don't like how the throat (bullet seat) is cut, this was established via borescope inspection.
I don't know how the muzzle or crown got damaged, but it definitely wasn't damaged when I shot the rifle. I'm guessing it could have been dropped by my friend and I wouldn't have noticed this when I sent it to Wilson, because I basically just sent it out as soon as I got it back. Can someone help out and explain to me what could cause the throat to be cut wrong? Could this happen if the chamber isn't concentric to the bore? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is what the muzzle looks like now.
5xEPge.jpg

uJRlzX.png

The reamer pilot follows the bore. Even if you are off a bit, the pilot cannot leave it's path(the bore) to cut off center. It can egg shape, but I have yet to hear a good argument or see proof that a piloted reamer can cut anywhere away from the bore.

Flame suit on :)

The damage to the out side of the barrel wouldn't do anything. The crown might not be cut correctly but I cant see from your pictures. I still haven't heard anything that would point to the barrel being the issue. I still thinking it had something to do with scope, ammo or your action, which was never tested just tore apart and the barrel was blamed.

I saw you had some offers from others to recrown, etc. Maybe take them up on it and see if it helps, assuming the variables Danny1788 mentioned are already taken care of

My guess they saw some rough lead angles and didn't like them. Common in factory throats. When you get it back (if you still have the reamer) you can clean it up by hand. Without a positive flushing system on your lathe or even the cutting speed could have left them "rough". Normally the first few shots "knock off the rough edges". Running the reamer back in by hand only a few thousandth should "clean" up the throat & lead angles. Depending on how much case head you left out originally you might not have to face anything off the breech because it is a Savage nut barrel.
The crown might have been damaged if your friend had it in a dead center. Also a perfectly "square" crown does not have to be chamfered in order to shoot well.

The damage to the out side of the barrel wouldn't do anything. The crown might not be cut correctly but I cant see from your pictures. I still haven't heard anything that would point to the barrel being the issue. I still thinking it had something to do with scope, ammo or your action, which was never tested just tore apart and the barrel was blamed.
I agree, the damage to the outside of the barrel has nothing to do with the way it shot, especially because it wasn't like that when i shot it. My guess is that it was damaged during shipping when I sent it to my friend. Those pics I just posted are the pics Wilson barrels sent me to show me how the barrel arrived. As far as the crown is concerned, I thought I did a good job, maybe I didn't. I indicated the muzzle end with the range rod until there was next to no run out, I used a small hss boring bar and started facing the barrel from the bore out and then used the compound set at 45 degrees. I did this until it was all cleaned up. I then took a tool I made out of brass, cut on a 60 degree angle with some lapping compound and as the barrel was spinning in the lathe, I put a slight chamfer on the edge of the bore just to clean up any sharp edges. I agree, I should have tried another scope before I blamed the barrel. As far as the action is concerned, it's a factory take off action that I bought brand new from a gun store. What do you think could be wrong with the action? I don't hand load, so I only use factory ammo. I'm using Hornady superformance 130 gr SST, this is the exact same ammo my brother uses in his 7mm-08 Savage and the rifle under 1" groups. I have never had an issue like this using factory ammo. Some ammo might group better than others, but this rifle doesn't come close to grouping. The rifle is back together with a brand new threaded and chambered 24" stainless steel ER Shaw barrel and a new Vortex scope. I need to get to the range to shoot it and hopefully eliminate a lot of the variables here.
riqtlv.jpg

Last edited:
My guess they saw some rough lead angles and didn't like them. Common in factory throats. When you get it back (if you still have the reamer) you can clean it up by hand. Without a positive flushing system on your lathe or even the cutting speed could have left them "rough". Normally the first few shots "knock off the rough edges". Running the reamer back in by hand only a few thousandth should "clean" up the throat & lead angles. Depending on how much case head you left out originally you might not have to face anything off the breech because it is a Savage nut barrel.
The crown might have been damaged if your friend had it in a dead center. Also a perfectly "square" crown does not have to be chamfered in order to shoot well.
I still have the reamer, so I can definitely give that a try when I get the barrel back. I left it with the gauge protruding exactly .125", so I can still cut a few thousands and still be in spec, thanks. I could be wrong, but I don't think the crown was the issue.
Here is the recessed target crown I cut and this is what it looked like when I shot it.
lFOGYv.jpg

Here is the finished barrel next to the .243 take off heavy barrel.
2Y3YSo.jpg

I also duracoated the barreled action in green and installed it in a Hogue stock with a Vortex scope.
jCTzTw.jpg

Like I said earlier, everything looks good, but it just doesn't shoot. As I'm sure most of you know from your own experience, I have a lot of time and money invested in this barrel. At this point, I guess I just need to chaulk it up to a lesson learned. I just bought a brand new ER Shaw Stainless steel 7mm-08 barrel all done for $230.
Is that a solid pilot reamer?

If you're asking if I used a solid pilot reamer to ream the chamber of the blank, then yes, why?
Because a reamer with a solid pilot can do a heck of a lot of damage where it rides the bore. I don't even know why they (solid pilot reamers) are offered anymore, except for cost. I'd say the combination of a lathe that's too small and not rigid enough and the solid pilot just 'rubbed' the daylights out of the throat. But it all just speculation without having everything involved in hand for examination. That's all any of these "what's wrong" can be over the web. Speculation............ but you've got other issues with a rifle that shoots a 'pattern'.......

Last edited:
If you're asking if I used a solid pilot reamer to ream the chamber of the blank, then yes, why?
With a solid pilot look at the back and you will see a pilot hole in the back. That needs to go on your live center and the reamer allowed to float so it can find center and center itself.