A True Confession

Litehiker

I'm the yahoo that asked Len to start a backpacking forum and it has become one of the favorite forums here at LRH thanks to Len's guidance because he is a **** good backpacker himself. I know, I backpacked the Grand Canyon with him 5 years ago.

So NOW I'm asking Len to start yet another forum, ELECTRIC BIKE HUNTING.
Yes, gentle reader, now that I've broken down and ordered myself a fat tire 2 wheel drive, 2 battery and dual suspension bike (E-Cells Monarch 1500) I must confess that as much as I love backpacking and e-mountain bike is, at 79, necessary for me to both cover Nevada's vast hunting areas but also carry out but boned meat - and antlered head, if any. That takes an e-mountain bike with power and reliability.
It's cheaper than an ATV. Including a heavy duty bike rack and 2" trailer hitch is less than an ATV trailer and all its many cans of gas. (Plus quieter.)

Most of you have heard of the Quiet Kat hunting e- mountain bikes but the E-Cells is a Parumph, Nevada company worth looking at also. Worth a look.
Rambo is another 2 wheel drive e-mountain bike you might like.

Anyway Len, another sub forum for e-mountain hunting bikes??
Eric B.

I recently bought a Backou Mule 26" Step Through and absolutely love it! It's quiet, goes some places even an ATV can't go, I can pretty much drive right up to my hunting area, and I'm getting exercise in at the same time. Pedaling is easier than a regular mountain bike and extends battery life quite a bit. Even got a deer trailer to pull with it. I like it so much I sold my ATV :)

tempImage79wWYR.pngtempImageYiVQq6.pngtempImageSEp5zP.png

Troutslayer,
Of course I somewhat disagree with you on limiting e-bikes to only where ICE engined bikes, ATVs, etc. can go. And I suspect all the e-bike owners here would agree. Of course e-mountain bikes are NOT permitted in any Wilderness Areas (and that includes non-electric mountain bikes for some strange reason).

BUT... I contend that e-mountain bikes should be permitted in all other areas if the rider is 65 years old or older.
I mean c'mon, we "geezers" deserve a bit of help getting into the backcountry but in a silent and less ground cover destructible manner.
AND I'd like to see ATVs restricted only to roads passable by 4WD vehicles and never on single track trails, as I have seen happen here in Nevada.

As in backpack hunting, e-mountain bike hunting requires that big game heat be boned out in order to have manageable weight on the bike.

I had a quietkat go on the fritz quite a few miles deep, wasn't a fun ride/bike push out. Friendly reminder these are ok on gated roads etc but be careful on single track trails. The pedals can catch and the jolt forward from pedal assist on a tight corner can get western real quick. Ask me how I know lol

Troutslayer,
Of course I somewhat disagree with you on limiting e-bikes to only where ICE engined bikes, ATVs, etc. can go. And I suspect all the e-bike owners here would agree. Of course e-mountain bikes are NOT permitted in any Wilderness Areas (and that includes non-electric mountain bikes for some strange reason).

BUT... I contend that e-mountain bikes should be permitted in all other areas if the rider is 65 years old or older.
I mean c'mon, we "geezers" deserve a bit of help getting into the backcountry but in a silent and less ground cover destructible manner.
AND I'd like to see ATVs restricted only to roads passable by 4WD vehicles and never on single track trails, as I have seen happen here in Nevada.

As in backpack hunting, e-mountain bike hunting requires that big game heat be boned out in order to have manageable weight on the bike.
I too would like to see a 65 exemption.
I have been considering electric for snow on mountain roads.
I'm just not sure about recharging in the backcountry.
I'm also thinking 2 wheel drive is definitely better than a rear wheel drive.
Have any of you all tried hunting with one in the backcountry?

Should I be allowed to drive a Tesla on the sidewalk or bike path because it's motor is not powered by petroleum? Dude, get horse, or a fitness trainer. I saw the tracks left by e-bikes where they should not have been this season. No mercy will be shown to any e-bikes found parked in areas they should not be. I already know of one that was found illegally ridden deep into the woods. It did not ride out. I am sad that the entitlement of the younger generation has infected the oldest among us so badly that they think they should get to take their special toys anywhere.

I recently bought a Backou Mule 26" Step Through and absolutely love it! It's quiet, goes some places even an ATV can't go, I can pretty much drive right up to my hunting area, and I'm getting exercise in at the same time. Pedaling is easier than a regular mountain bike and extends battery life quite a bit. Even got a deer trailer to pull with it. I like it so much I sold my ATV :)

View attachment 415478View attachment 415479View attachment 415488
Jim put a Go Pro on ans see how faw ans whartkinf od road you ar ion.

View attachment 415478View attachment 415479View attachment 415488
Jim we wrote a lengthily post but disappeared,
Will try again tomorrow
Len & Jill

Should I be allowed to drive a Tesla on the sidewalk or bike path because it's motor is not powered by petroleum? Dude, get horse, or a fitness trainer. I saw the tracks left by e-bikes where they should not have been this season. No mercy will be shown to any e-bikes found parked in areas they should not be. I already know of one that was found illegally ridden deep into the woods. It did not ride out. I am sad that the entitlement of the younger generation has infected the oldest among us so badly that they think they should get to take their special toys anywhere.

You talk about entitlement while advocating committing a felony by destroying thousands of dollars of somebody else's equipment because they went somewhere they aren't supposed to. Not only that but it's somebody's mode of transportation and you have zero knowledge of the physical health of the person who rode it there. It may have been someone with a physical ailment you stranded out in the middle of nowhere. Depending on the circumstances your actions could result in Search and Rescue getting involved or worse someone getting injured or dying explicitly due to your actions disabling their mode of transport.

Since you're so gung ho about dispensing vigilante justice would you also kill someone's horse or torch their ATV/UTV if they take it off the allowed path?

Last edited:
I am not a fan of E Bikes because the current uses. There are and is the need at times. The ones we have encountered are all a clear violation of the law. Both hunting and on trails. Every year we encounter more and more of them, and not one of them is allowed in the area we hunt. We have hunted this area for over two decades, and located it because there were no roads or motorized access. There is a way a person could take one in, and to date none of the people meet or have met the requirements. We take horses and hike our buns off. This year I helped a newbie get his first elk seven miles and rode the horses one. The three Nebraskans we took this year were super irritated with the E Bikes "what the helicopter is going on there are signs all over saying no motorized vehicles and even electric bikes". We told them we have never seen enforcement even when they ride four wheelers down several of the ridges, and there are not even close to enough Game Wardens to deal with poachers let alone E Bikes.