A Little Reloading Help

manitou

A question for the gurus.
I have been reloading for about 12 years now and have never experienced this.

This past year I completed a custom build... .280ai. I worked up several loads this past spring and summer but settled on one load with 168 gr Berger VLDHs. I have fired 240 rounds during load workup, trying different bullet, primer and powder combos.
I never had sticky bolt lift through this process. I did however, notice that my smith chambered the barrel pretty snug, but within specs. He is a very notable and recognized smith but will leave his name out for obvious reasons.

After finding my load (near max) and having zero bolt lift or extraction issues, I loaded up 150 rounds for future shooting and hunting. I load the seating depth a tad long to bump the bullet back .001" when preparing to use the rounds in order to avoid bullet weld.

A couple of days before hunting season I went out with a buddy, confirmed zero and shot 400,600 and 725 yds to reaffirm my ballistics. All was fine. Nothing had to be changed in my ballistic calculator.
But... my bolt was difficult to lift at the top of the cam action and had to be bumped upwards with my hand with every shot fired. There were no smears, swipes, flattened primers, etc. It was too close to hunting season to mess with, so I hunted with the rifle. I killed a muley three days ago and again, the bolt had a hard lift at the top of the "raising" action before pulling it back to extract the spent cartridge. Again, no marks on the back of the case. Cartridges fed into and extracted from the chamber easily.

Today I took the empty case from the round I killed the MD with and ran it in the chamber of this rifle. It fed well and the bolt closed with ease, as with did the other (loaded) rounds prior. Again, I had a heavy bolt lift at the top of the bolt lift with the empty case!

Although I still have elk hunting to do I am thinking I better deal with this issue and may have to use one of my other rifles.

I do not have a borescope as I am OCD+++ and just know I will be rebarreling rifles every month and losing sleep if I used one, lol. I do have a gunsmith down the road (backed up with work as most are) and may see if he will scope it.

With all this being said, I am looking for opinions and ideas from you guys.
I will note that I have changed NOTHING in my reloading procedure, the rifle or the componants from the time I settled on this load. and I did not experience this issue while working up loads... although I did have a couple primers fall out with a different load with the work up process ealier in the year.

Nosler Custom Brass, CCI BR primers, IMR 7828.

I am thinking MAYBE the dreaded carbon ring? Or... maybe I need a bit more shoulder bump, although I bump .002". I find it weird that all was fine until my loads and rifles sat for several weeks after finalizing my loads and then (shooting these loads later) I am experiencing this bolt lift issue. I might add that I keep a weitten step-by-step procedure for reloading at my reloading station so as not to skip any steps. I am anfanatic about details.

The rifle was thoroughly cleaned during and after the load workup before this issue showed itself.

Thanks...

Last edited:
You might try cleaning your chamber. It sounds like you may have cleaning fluid or oil in the chamber allowing the brass to expand to much making the bolt hard to lift. It could be other things too, but a good place to start.

Had similar deal with my 300 win sako. As above clean chamber and bolt. I pulled bolt and firing pin out, cleaned everything then lightly greased lugs solving what I thought was a pressure issue. Goid luck

Weird thing is that it was clean when this started. It now only has about 12 rounds down the pipe since the last cleaning.
I am going to see if the neighbor can scope it to see if there is a carbon ring...
and I will also re-clean the chamber and bolt.... and barrel while I'm at it.

Measure the case web near the base of a new piece of brass and then measure the web on a piece that was hard to extract. BR2 primers are hard and it takes a lot to show pressure there. The problem may have came from hot loads during load development (especially the brass that had primers fall out) and weakened the case web. I have ruined nearly a whole box of Nosler brass in my 280 Ackley that extracted fine on the first firing but was hard to extract on the second firing. I found that in this caliber, once the case web over expands from hidden pressure, the brass is basically ruined. Once I got a load, I just used new brass and it reloads and chambers and extracts fine, after firing. The case web is about 1/4 inch from the rim of the case, where the brass begins to thin. I can send you photos of my ruined brass if you need them to show you where the case web expands too much with too much pressure. This caliber and my 7 SAUM seem to hide pressure and if you aren't careful, the case web will suffer. May not be your issue at all but worth checking.

Re measure the over all length of rounds that have been stored. If you have a compressed load and no crimping the bullet can be pushed out a little causing a jam scenario. Not much but enough to create added pressure.

Did you scrap this brass? The case head, web area will not spring back any more, causing hard bolt lift.
Yes I did. That was another load with a different powder, primer and bullet combo I tried when doing load workup.

Re measure the over all length of rounds that have been stored. If you have a compressed load and no crimping the bullet can be pushed out a little causing a jam scenario. Not much but enough to create added pressure.
No compressed loads.
Thanks.

So I pulled the firing pin from the bolt and tried a SAAMI case, a fired case and a reloaded round.
It felt like there was just a tad more resistance when closing the bolt on the fired case. I did not remove the ejector plunger as it is a booger to get back in on this rifle... but I am thinking I will try that tomorrow.
The one thing I DID change (now that I am thinking about it) is the fact I tried the Redding Competition Shell Holders when I loaded these, so I may need to re-evaluate that.