A Little History of Sauer 100

Jon Bischof

With the introduction of the SAUER 100, J.P. Sauer & Sohn presents a non-modular bolt action rifle that has all the premium features of a SAUER hunting rifle in terms of design, quality and precision. The S 100 raises the standard in the entry-level class to a new level. Its convincing features make the S 100 the benchmark in its class.

Sure am glad they did. It was a blessing to me that they produced a rifle that a poor man could own. Not that we might not still long for the higher tier Sauers that cost Thousands more, but they were always out of the question and price bracket for most middle class wage earners.

I have two Sauer 100's now and consider them extreeeeeme bargains. Also a Mauser M18, long story short--same bolt, same action and barrel as Sauer 100--for less money! Another extreme blessing for folks who like Sub-Quarter MOA but could never otherwise afford it.

Since these became known, prices have climbed. Mauser M18 prices have doubled once folks got a taste of what they were capable of. If you wanted the bargain of the Century for Sub-MOA rifles, it is too late. The word is out and the prices are up. But I told you folks up front, so if you didn't get one, don't blame me.

It would be very hard indeed for me to rebarrel any of my Sauers or Mauser. They just don't need it. But then one doesn't buy a Sauer as a donor action for rebarreling.

I'm assuming that you sent your rifle back to Sauer for service?

My understanding is that only the Sauer 101 has the press fit barrel. The Sauer 100 has a threaded barrel. I recently read on an English forum that Sauer have issued a recall on the Sauer 100 chambered in 6.5x55.

It would be very hard indeed for me to rebarrel any of my Sauers or Mauser. They just don't need it. But then one doesn't buy a Sauer as a donor action for rebarreling.

I'm assuming that you sent your rifle back to Sauer for service?
No but I was interested in rebarreling because I bought a high end rifle in The same cartridge. Ended up just selling it to a friend.

I picked up a grey cerakote model in 9.3x62 a couple years ago. Love it.
I have been keeping my eye out for one in 9.3x62 and guess I have to wait for more to be imported or something. I have been on multiple sites including GB for the last 2.months and never see them.

I am glad to hear you like yours. I just ordered a Sauer 100 in 6.5prc for my son. So it will be my first and am excited to see how it shoots.