Sauer 100 rifle

elk wallow

Just saw a couple of these rifles in my local sports center. Nice looking rifle, haven't heard much about them though. Anybody have any experience with these?

Kevin

Yeah they seem like pretty nice rifles. Fit and finish looks very clean. They had one in 6.5 PRC that peaked my interest.

Kevin

When Sauer phased out the 202 they introduced the 404 and the cheaper 101. Both of these new models have a decocking device on the rear of the bolt rather than a safety and it doesn't appear to have been very popular. The 404 is a swap barrel like the Blaser. The 101 has a heat shrunk barrel that can't be replaced when it is worn out. The 100 IMO is a much better design, it has the same style of 3 lug bolt that the 202 had, a 3 position safety and a barrel that is threaded into the receiver the good old fashion way. I have 3 Sauer 202 rifles and they all shoot 1/2 MOA groups or better. Here in NZ the Sauer 100 is cheaper than the Tikka T3 . For the price I think they are a real good buy. No I don't work for Sauer or any of their associated companies. I hope that helps.

I have the 100 Classic XT that I bought new in September for $689. It has a press fit barrel so no changing barrels. It has a very narrow forearm that I find too narrow compared to my other guns. In store the gun was free floating despite the very close fit. However now it rubs on one side. I removed and reinstalled the stock and as I soon as I tightend the screws, it goes back rubbing again.
Since then I went back to gunshop and looked at the two they had for sale. Both of those were rubbing. The sales guy said don't worry about it that they shoot great.
It does shoot sub moa as guaranteed. I get .360 at 100 yards with Hornady 6.5CM Match.
Smooth action and lightweight but mine will be sold sometime next year. I've got a suppressor in jail and will get a rifle with a threaded barrel when I get approved.
Edit: Mine likes the 120 better than the 147. The heavier bullet goes .59 for me.

Last edited:
So I'm not familiar with a press fit barrel. What are the pros and cons of this system? I seen a review stating the bolt lugs lock into the barrel itself. Is that good or bad?

Kevin

Kiwikid says the BBL ixs threaded in the old fashion way. Jerryva says there Press fit ? Who is right,who can provide a link or where are you getting your information from ? Maybe I'll wait for Bergara .

In the original press release when this rifle was first offered it stated that the barrel is threaded into the receiver. I contacted our NZ importer and the manager there confirmed it is threaded with Sauer. Here is an in-depth review
www.rifleshootermagazine.co.uk/gun-tests/sauer-100-classic-xt-in-308-win-in-depth-rifle-review-1-4841991
About halfway through the review you will see a magazine loaded with ammo sitting on an ammo box with the trigger guard metal. If you read from there it states that it is threaded.

elk wallow, a heat shrunk or press fit barrel is installed by heating the receiver and cooling the barrel then they are pressed together. As the barrel warms and the receiver cools it locks the barrel into the receiver. A threaded barrel can be unscrewed if the barrel needs to be replaced but it is very difficult to remove a heat shrunk barrel.

"so rather than being a press fit, the joint between action and barrel is now threaded to maintain integrity under the pressure of firing". Loved that review. Now I'll be thinking hard on what scope to put on it ?

I've shot them in both 308 and 6.5. Both shot very well (around 0.5 moa). The fit and finish reminds me a lot of a tikka t3x. I do like the trigger on the t3x more however. Not sure there are many options for aftermarket parts for them.

Full disclosure, the company I work for has the same ownership as them.

So if they are indeed press fit barrels. Is it possible to thread them for a muzzle break without taking the barrel off?

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.