A laughable ammo question

KRob

The land that my family lives on and our neighbors land is over run with small game and they are consuming large quantities of our feed for the cattle.
My baby brother and I have been slowly fixing the problem in our off time however I am going to go broke b/c of the cost of ammo for my 223, since I do not yet reload.
Question is Wolf ammo (I know it crap) however will it harm my rifle any or just foul it up faster and just need a good cleaning more often.
Second question is the brass worth keeping for when I finally do have the cash to purchase a reloading setup.
Ok know go ahead and laugh.

not a dumb question,i tried wolf and they wizzed ricochets everywhere in .223,i believe it is steel case covered in shellac and it ran all through my .45 auto and .223 personally,use something else.dont save the brass.blackhills makes boxes of 50 for @$10 and lc brass

[ QUOTE ]
i believe it is steel case covered in shellac and it ran all through my .45 auto and .223

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you mean it will damage the rifle or just was a pain in the butt to clean?

I shoot the Wolf ammo out of my AR. It works - I have had 1 ever fail to eject on me. Your gun may be different - I have read where some guns just do not like Wolf ammo. I think it burns at least as clean as USGI ammo, so fouling isn't an issue.
The cases are steel (non-reloadable), and the new style is coated with a gray polymer that does not come off in the chamber of the rifle.
It kills rock chucks well (leaves a big hole). That was with a 62gr bullet. I'm sure the hollow point version would be even messier.

What small critters are you shooting?

I'm wondering just what kind and how many critters you have and how much help do you want gettin' rid of them?

Have gun, will travel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use a savage 111f… (its a base line model with an accutrigger) I love it. My brother uses a scoped 22 marlin. Ground squirrels are the main thing a few rock chucks scattered through it and some other stuff. However its in a canyon so range is limited most of it is more walking and getting a shot of quick at 40 yards or so, more shotgun work really. Most of the land belongs to the family friends and they are kind of…how can I say this isolationists. But I could asks when I see them next, send me an Email. On the side where about in Idaho do you live? I am kind of in search for a mentor in this arena and I like learning from the best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
When you say USGI do you mean like the stuff the army uses b/c from my experience that fouls those weapons pretty well but then ROTC probably does not get the best stuff. However M16 and AR 15 have a lot more foulable parts then a simple bolt action.
My rifle shoots wolf pretty well it not the most accurate stuff I send down the barrel but it works when half the time I know I am going to miss anyway. I am more worried about it damaging something. Though a savage is not much to many its quit a investment to me and I would like to be able to pass it on down to my kids someday. I learned on the same 22 my Dad learned and I hope to teach my children on the rifle too. It may seem kinda corny but I don't know its just my thought process.

no damage,they jammed from it though.what a mess to clean.i just saw the fmj and didn't know of the hollow points or new coating.i dont buy it anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.