A good find? Old school Christensen Arms Hunter

dakotakidd

Local gun shop got in an older Christensen Hunter. Its a 300 wsm, has a stainless Remington action (still stamped Remington 700 on the action) and a 24"(i think) barrel that is not threaded. Wears a ADL Bell and Carlson Alaskan stock that has been reamed out to fit the carbon barrel. I don't know the back story to it and they don't either. The bore is bright and rifling looks fine, it's a little rough but would clean up nice. They want $800 for it and I could maybe work them down a few bucks...anyone know what it's worth??? Or anyone know when it would have been made, or is it an action that was sent in and re-barreled by Christensen?

Local gun shop got in an older Christensen Hunter. Its a 300 wsm, has a stainless Remington action (still stamped Remington 700 on the action) and a 24"(i think) barrel that is not threaded. Wears a ADL Bell and Carlson Alaskan stock that has been reamed out to fit the carbon barrel. I don't know the back story to it and they don't either. The bore is bright and rifling looks fine, it's a little rough but would clean up nice. They want $800 for it and I could maybe work them down a few bucks...anyone know what it's worth??? Or anyone know when it would have been made, or is it an action that was sent in and re-barreled by Christensen?
I bought one around 2010 out of the cabelas gun room. It was used but fairly fresh and chambered in 300 rum. I didn't do my research and paid way too much for it. It shot relatively well and I eventually wore the bbl out. I rebarreled with a 26" proof and it's shot even better since. The smith that did the work was curious and split the carbon to see what the barrel looked like. It was just a factory Remington sported barrel underneath. Not turned and still had all the stamps. With all that being said, I think 7-800 bucks is a fair price since the bbl looks good on it.

I wouldn't gamble on an old Christensen. Save up and get a new one.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.