• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

A Dedicated LRH Rifle for my Kids

bassassassin104

Looking for an affordable, fairly light weight (8lbs or less bare rifle?) adjustable length of pull (my son is a short 9 year old), short barrel (20"-22"), and threaded for a brake. Chambered in anything from .22 to 6.5mm. I reload so I am not hung up on a specific caliber. Both my kids are pretty small and it isn't a big problem for them to shoot my rifles at the range. They have even taken a few deer with them. It is just difficult for them to make adjustments in the field. For them, manipulating a 15 pound rifle with a 26" bull barrel is not an easy task. I have looked at factory youth offerings, but there is not a whole lot out there that meet my list of wants. Please let me know if you have something collecting dust that might work and you are willing to sell, or know of some factory offering that I have overlooked. Thanks in advance, Charlie

Hard to beat this deal

Thank you for the reply. Is there any adjustment in the stock? Kinda hard to tell with the bag on it. If not, do you think there's enough material in the butt section for me to just chop it and put the recoil pad back on? ( sorry I just realized that is not your for sale posting. I will message the right person.)

Last edited:

Have you looked at this? Great price, just need rings and optic. Accustock has adjustable LOP and Comb. You reload so that helps with ammo scarcity and you can run varmint to medium game to target loads out of this rifle pretty easily. Not my rifle so contact the seller but I like mine in 7mm and I don't think you can beat the price to get them started. Just my .02 good luck.

Have you considered going with an AR platform? The length of pull is adjustable and most are threaded for a brake. I know several people who brought their kids up using AR's because AR's are so flexible, accurate and available in so many calibers. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Have you considered going with an AR platform? The length of pull is adjustable and most are threaded for a brake. I know several people that brought their kids up using AR's because AR's are so flexible, accurate and available in so many calibers. Just a thought.
Thank you for the suggestion. That is actually what we are doing for now. I installed a collapsible stock on one. It is still pretty heavy for a 55 pound kid though. He can sure ring some steel with it though. It may be crazy but I have this fantasy of a short barreled light weight rifle that may kick a little hard, but can be tamed with a brake. It sounds a little funny, but handling a 12 lb rifle for him is like a 40 pound rifle for us. Not very manageable in the field. Best decision may be buy a good used gun from someone here and start swapping parts for lighter weight components.

Remington Model 7 threaded 16.5" barrel, comes in .308 and with a brake, very manageable. LOP isn't adjustable but the rest meets your specs. Under 6lbs before optics.
think model 7 Kuiu but the AR is a far more customizable and cheaper learning option.

X2 on the AR. Soft recoil, install a 3# timney and swap uppers to tailor to each kid. Check out the 277 Wolverine a 90 grain TNT at 2800 FPS is just amazing. Then step up to a 6.5 Grendel with 100 gr ballistic tips or a 6.8 SPC with 120 gr SST. The bonus is each upper can have its own optic setup so swapping uppers in seconds even in the field, pop in the appropriate magazine and send it. Awesome to see kiddos out in the field!! Good luck!!

Thank you for the suggestion. That is actually what we are doing for now. I installed a collapsible stock on one. It is still pretty heavy for a 55 pound kid though. He can sure ring some steel with it though. It may be crazy but I have this fantasy of a short barreled light weight rifle that may kick a little hard, but can be tamed with a brake. It sounds a little funny, but handling a 12 lb rifle for him is like a 40 pound rifle for us. Not very manageable in the field. Best decision may be buy a good used gun from someone here and start swapping parts for lighter weight components.
Not all AR's are the same, some get heavy quickly. For a lightweight one you could look at the S&W MP15, reasonable price, swap uppers etc with ease, $750 or less depending on the sale and I think they are under 7lbs. I think some others in this class are similar in weight and function. Good Luck

Not all AR's are the same, some get heavy quickly. For a lightweight one you could look at the S&W MP15, reasonable price, swap uppers etc with ease, $750 or less depending on the sale and I think they are under 7lbs. I think some others in this class are similar in weight and function. Good Luck
Great point!

M&Ps are pretty light but with the right components, you can build a little lighter. I find most of the weight to be in the barrel (yeah, I am a master of the obvious). So for a hunting variant, pencil-thin profile AR barrels are probably fine. They will string shots if you heat them up.
You can also shave some weight in the rail and by using a semi-auto BCG vice a full auto, different buffers, etc. Minuscule differences, but ounces equal pounds and to a youth hunter, it might matter. None of this matters if you go and throw a heavy optic on it...

My 6.8SPC is super light, I run a 5 round PRI mag and it has a pencil-thin profile (Scout 3R) from AR15 Performance. Shoots lights out and people kinda look at me strangely when they hold it... like it is way lighter than it should be.

Might take a look at a TC Venture Compact in 6.5CM, it has the stock spacer for adjusting the LOP, 5R rifling and comes threaded. My sons rifle is a TC Compass and the LOP came from the factory shortened. I put a Ruger Precision muzzle brake on it and it's easy shooting and very accurate. Now that he's getting bigger, he's interested in the Oryx chassis.

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. I will take a look at all the suggestions you have given. I have a friend who works on AR's, I will try to get him to take some time with me, pull some stuff apart and weigh some components. It will be a good opportunity for me to improve my knowledge about disassembly of an AR. Thank you all again. I appreciate all the feedback.