80 MOA Base ??????

altabonita. So I started this thread not knowing if there is even a thing out there such as a high moa base. After toying with my 20 moa base and turning it into a 70 moa, I too started questioning about the arc-rizer. I did some quick math, so on my 300 weatherby I am adjusting 22 minuets to hit a target at 1010 yards. So I wanted to know how far can I shoot with a 200 moa base? Well using the same math that I used to get to 1010, if I adjust 198 minuetes that puts me at 9000 yards. That is just a little more than 5 miles!!! That's some crazzy long distance assuming the weatherby could through the bullet that far without loosing all of it's umff. I was wonder if there are any long distance shooters out there using the arc-rizer shooting to these distances and what guns are they using.

altabonita. So I started this thread not knowing if there is even a thing out there such as a high moa base. After toying with my 20 moa base and turning it into a 70 moa, I too started questioning about the arc-rizer. I did some quick math, so on my 300 weatherby I am adjusting 22 minuets to hit a target at 1010 yards. So I wanted to know how far can I shoot with a 200 moa base? Well using the same math that I used to get to 1010, if I adjust 198 minuetes that puts me at 9000 yards. That is just a little more than 5 miles!!! That's some crazzy long distance assuming the weatherby could through the bullet that far without loosing all of it's umff. I was wonder if there are any long distance shooters out there using the arc-rizer shooting to these distances and what guns are they using.

You don't need or can use 200 MOA bases or sights unless you are shooting something very slow
and big. I have a 45/120 that shoots a 620 grain bullet at 1700 ft/sec +/_ and I have a tang site
that has just over 200 MOA of adjustment. and it can use most of it.

So I would think that the place to use the are-riser or some other device that gets 200 MOA would
be low velocity cartridges (Like black powder rifles, rim fire and sub-sonic rounds.

Most modern rifles will run out of hunting energy before they use up 20 MOA of bases. for most rifles I prefer 10 MOA bases because you can still zero at 1 to 200 yards and the modern scopes will come up enough to get you on at 800 to 1000+ yards.

If you want to shoot nothing but 1000+ yards depending on the scope you have to get the reticle in the middle of it,s adjustment range you might want a 30 MOA base.

Just my take on why you would need 200 MOA.

J E CUSTOM

JE Custom, you have a point there. I never thought about the big slow projectiles. I've been wrapping my head around reaching out there and only thinking long range long range long range. It makes total sense now why anyone would need a 200 moa base. Thanks for opening my eyes and thinking outside the box. To your point earlier, I probably didn't need the 70 moa that I created but as I'm learning and satisfying my curiosity's (and drilling you guys for info) I am finding what works and doesn't work. I love going to the range and proving or disproving my curiosity. To me that's part of the fun while growing with this sport, learning my limits.

I was looking into some subsonic 50 caliber rifle cartridges with a 750 grain A-Max it holds its energy to around 1000 ft pounds as far as 2300 yards (not that I would shoot that far especially because of where I live as the farthest shot is probably around 800 yards because of the hills and trees ) but then I looked at the drop which is around 110 MOA to 800 yards. I then started looking at angeled scope bases and adjustable scope bases what do you think that I should look into more if I decide to go through with getting one ?

Murphy precision will mill you a custom base. Then you will have to get your smith to tap the base screws holes.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.