7x57 mauser in a 700 short action

Memberberries

I wanted to build my 700 into a 7x57 but thought all was lost until I came across the extended mag boxes. The ptg bainey box is supposed to get me to 3.11 and the longest loads for heavy nosler are spec'd to 3.065.

Has anyone seen this been done? I know people use the bainey boxes for the short mags but I've not been able to find where anyone built a mauser on a short action.

It may be better to base the build on a Standard action instead of a short action. The 7X57 Mauser to shoot the long 175 gr. round nose lists O.A.C.L. 3.070".

If it is the rifle weight you are looking at, Is the reason for using a short action. The 7mm/08 with a stronger case that would fit in a short action may be a better choice.

If you want to build a 7X57 mm Mauser Rifle.
The 308 Win. Metric name is 7.62X51mm, (OACL 2.800) The 30-06 Spg.'s Metric name is 7.62X63mm. (OACL 3.340) At 57mm long the 7X57mm is about exactly between them. The .270 free space in a standard action would be nice to have for long bullets.
Just a thought to save problems on this build.

Don't think you will be happy with the 7x57 in a SA rifle. Too many things like bullet too deep in case to fit and limit on the longer heavy weight bullets OAL.

If it is the rifle weight you are looking at, Is the reason for using a short action. The 7mm/08 with a stronger case that would fit in a short action may be a better choice.
This is good advice, I shoot 7mm-08 in short action and it will fit well but I don't go over 2.925 OAL. I think those that I consider mid length action rounds do better in a long action (257Bob-7x57-6.5 284-6.5PRC)

Go with a standard action. Don't expect too much from the 7x57. It is what it is. It is no wonder cartridge but is surrounded by myth and romanticism. Great for 200 kg deer but not much else.

I guess nobody told "karamojo" Bell that. He killed the vast majority of 1000+ elephants with the 7x57 under the guise of the 275 Rigby. He was a good shot though and could brain shoot an elephant from almost any angle.

I would go with a long action for the 7x57. If a short action is all you have then the 7-08 will duplicate what the 7x57 will do and work fine.

Last edited:
I want to build this specific action as a 7x57 because my dad sold his 7mm mauser to buy this rifle for me when I was 14. I know a 7-08 or 284 win would be easier and hotter but I'm just going to be shooting whitetail, hogs, and other Oklahoma game with this rifle. I would build a magnum rifle if I ever get to go elk hunting.

3.11" oal is longer than any of the loads I've seen published for the cartridge, anybody loading for 7x57 that hangs em out farther than that?

I'm looking for people who have actually used the bainey boxes, did they feed well? Does the bolt bind at the rear of the stroke at all since it's farther back than normal? Any other quirks?

I would think a 7 x 57 loaded to modern pressures in a modern action would be a fine round. All these newer powders and bullets should out do the 7-08. I used my old FN Mauser with 170gr gas checked pills to kill a few deer. Was only 1800-2000 fps but was accurate and deadly inside 250 or so yards.

The 7x57 will not work well in a short action. If you believe the short action myths you are SOL. It will not do anything the 7mm08 cannot BUT has a much higher "cool factor". Think about the 260 Remington and the 6.5x55 ---- same story. Both the old timers have more case capacity and, in a modern action, can slightly outperform the 308 based rounds.

They are all excellent cartridges with light recoil and the ability to kill any lower 48 game with proper bullet choices.

Just get which you prefer and go hunting.

The 7x57 will not work well in a short action. If you believe the short action myths you are SOL. It will not do anything the 7mm08 cannot BUT has a much higher "cool factor". Think about the 260 Remington and the 6.5x55 ---- same story. Both the old timers have more case capacity and, in a modern action, can slightly outperform the 308 based rounds.

They are all excellent cartridges with light recoil and the ability to kill any lower 48 game with proper bullet choices.

Just get which you prefer and go hunting.

What short action myths are you referring to?

My uncle and cousins use it in a long action and foe both silgoyette shooting and hunting. It is one cool cartridge but the short action will eventually leave you wanting a long one.

If you are using the short one then get a 7mm-08 for it. They are very similar in performance.

I wanted to build my 700 into a 7x57 but thought all was lost until I came across the extended mag boxes. The ptg bainey box is supposed to get me to 3.11 and the longest loads for heavy nosler are spec'd to 3.065.

Has anyone seen this been done? I know people use the bainey boxes for the short mags but I've not been able to find where anyone built a mauser on a short action.

3.11" oal is longer than any of the loads I've seen published for the cartridge, anybody loading for 7x57 that hangs em out farther than that?

The Nosler data you are referring to specs OAL to 3.065" because that is the SAAMI standard, not because that is the ideal length for heavy bullets. If the intent is to only shoot factory ammo and/or to limit hand loaded bullets to weights and designs that are either blunt or can be seated deeply, then your plan will work.

If, for instance, you wanted to load something like the Berger 175 EH, or one of the 180 VLD's, the OAL will be in the neighborhood of 3.2+", which will not be compatible with any short action magazine. This is why the classic mauser cartridges are better served by an intermediate length action (and also one reason why the classic mauser cartridges have not been particularly popular in the US). The '98 Mauser was designed to function with the 8x57 Mauser, whose OAL spec is 3.228". With long, streamlined bullets, that is also a reasonable length for the 7x57.

I have a 7x57, built on a 98 Mauser action with a military barrel, that likes to run 162 AMAX @ 3.240 OAL.

A 7x57, built to maximize the potential of the cartridge, is best housed in something like a 98 Mauser (or commercial version of that action) or a Ruger 77, which have internal magazines ranging from 3.30 to 3.40 internal length.

Your plan to fit a Bainey Box can still work, provided you accept the limitations inherent in the choice to restrict OAL to less than 3.1".

My friend has a 700 SA 7x57 and he was having problems with loading long rounds. So he sent it to Bill Weismann and he going to open up the ejection port and install a box magazine on it. I'll post up here when he gets it back.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.