7RUM Mono Loads

duckhunter175

Have a 1-9T, 26" Proof barrel 7RUM-- I've been shooting lights out with 145gr LRX @3375 (factory Barnes LR ammo)

I'm considering going up to a heavier mono in either a 168gr LRX or a Hammer-- wondering if they will stabilize?

And what folks have had success with for loads with either bullet? I have some 162 ELDX and 180ELDM but I really like the way the Barnes have performed on game the last two years.

Look at the 143 Hammer Hunter. Shooting them in my 7 STW at 3390. Killed 2 elk and a whitetail buck last year. They pretty much shoot bullet diameter groups and as good as I can hold at 300 and beyond. I pushed them up to 3650 with a ladder but came back to a nice medium load that shoots. They are a lot more consistent than the LRX. With a 9 twist I don't think you will stabilize much more bullet at distance.

I emailed the guys at Hammer to get their thoughts- Id love to push a heavier mono if able.

I shot 180 VLDs with zero issues but I'm not sure how the length, bearing surface, composition will differ from a lighter/longer Hammer for stability.

What twist barrel and what altitude are you at?

I shot the 180 vld hunters prior to hammers. I have a 9 twist and shoot anywhere from 3200-8000 feet. I thought I would shoot their 155 and Steve said I probably could but likely stability would be marginal at extended range. Very happy where my load ended with accuracy and velocity. Using RL 26

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.