7mm08 Deer hunting load

My Remington 700 used to be a 7mm-08, but I never could get it to group better than 1 1/4 MOA, so I had the gunsmith turn it into a 284. The first load I was shooting was the 140 AB over H4350 at around 2820fps; the deer I shot with that at 60 yards pulled all four feet off the ground it crumpled so fast and I couldn't identify heart or lungs in all the jello... After that I went to the 150 ABLR over H4350 at about 2750fps. That load dropped another deer at 175 yards with much the same effect as the 140 AB had before, and the cow elk at 200 walked about 40 yards before piling up.
I plan to pick up a pair of 7mm-08s for my kids in the next year or so, and will probably start them out with a mild load with 120 BTs; I expect even a mild load would be plenty effective on deer out to 200.

My Remington 700 used to be a 7mm-08, but I never could get it to group better than 1 1/4 MOA, so I had the gunsmith turn it into a 284. The first load I was shooting was the 140 AB over H4350 at around 2820fps; the deer I shot with that at 60 yards pulled all four feet off the ground it crumpled so fast and I couldn't identify heart or lungs in all the jello... After that I went to the 150 ABLR over H4350 at about 2750fps. That load dropped another deer at 175 yards with much the same effect as the 140 AB had before, and the cow elk at 200 walked about 40 yards before piling up.
I plan to pick up a pair of 7mm-08s for my kids in the next year or so, and will probably start them out with a mild load with 120 BTs; I expect even a mild load would be plenty effective on deer out to 200.

With the 120gr BT you can shoot up to 400yds no problem.

My 7mm-08's are both Remington 700's, sometimes a change of primer helps, I keep reading over and over that with Winchester primers groups shrink, this might help.

My oldest son when I got him his 7 mm08 didn't care for the recoil from 140 gr loads. I hand loaded some 120 sierras over a reduced load can't for the life of me remember what powder but anyhow they shot really nice . He killed several deer with it with those loads. He actually asked me there a few weeks ago if we could load up some more whammy loads for his gun . I was like what are you talking about and he said the shells we first loaded up for it. Lol
He referred to the ad his whammy deer killers. I'd forgot about that.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.