7mm wsm

What is it in some barrels that create higher velocity? I have Brux barrels on three of my rifles. Each one is the same configuration. Each one gives higher velocity than what load info suggests. Example 270WSM with 140Bergers gives me 3155 fps from Lab Radar with 63 grain Re26. That charge is 3 grain below max charge listed at Alliant and @ 63 grains is max for this rifle. Slight bolt lift. Other rifles are similar. 243Win with 105 Bergers running 3108 with Re 23. That's fast for a 243Win without excessive pressure. So is it the barrel lands and grooves? Boar design typical for Brux barrels? Not complaining. They are .5 MOA rifles with good usable velocity. Just mighty curious.

What is it in some barrels that create higher velocity? I have Brux barrels on three of my rifles. Each one is the same configuration. Each one gives higher velocity than what load info suggests. Example 270WSM with 140Bergers gives me 3155 fps from Lab Radar with 63 grain Re26. That charge is 3 grain below max charge listed at Alliant and @ 63 grains is max for this rifle. Slight bolt lift. Other rifles are similar. 243Win with 105 Bergers running 3108 with Re 23. That's fast for a 243Win without excessive pressure. So is it the barrel lands and grooves? Boar design typical for Brux barrels? Not complaining. They are .5 MOA rifles with good usable velocity. Just mighty curious.
It can be a few things One a better seal from a well lapped bore will give a touch more speed. A tapered lap will give more speed and a tighter bore dia. can give this as well. I have a .298 4 groove in 308 that iss about 100fps faster than normal. I hit pressures with much lower charge weights. This is a combination of things including the chamber being from a non sammi spec.
Seeing as your below the book with pressure I would think your chamber is at least a minimum spec sammi chamber. Might even be in the throat design. Talk to your smith. Some will give you the information alot won't.

It can be a few things One a better seal from a well lapped bore will give a touch more speed. A tapered lap will give more speed and a tighter bore dia. can give this as well. I have a .298 4 groove in 308 that iss about 100fps faster than normal. I hit pressures with much lower charge weights. This is a combination of things including the chamber being from a non sammi spec.
Seeing as your below the book with pressure I would think your chamber is at least a minimum spec sammi chamber. Might even be in the throat design. Talk to your smith. Some will give you the information alot won't.
Great answer. Makes a lot of sense. thanks

Is the recoil about the same with a 7mm mag verses a 7mm wsm?

I'd say no, as the WSMs are way more efficient in their design. I have 4 WSMs, 270, my first, a 7mm, 300 and 325 and all of them are extremely accurate as well as being short actions. My 7WSM has done some amazing things in the field as most magnums can but is super smooth to shoot. VarmintHunter is right, a good Limbsaver Custom pad is a gamechanger. No brake needed.
It is unfortunate that you can pretty much only special order a 7WSM, or find a Browning, Winchester Coyote or Ultimate Shadow at Gunsamerica.com or other. In any case, going to a 270WSM opens up your options quite a bit with a difference of .007" diameter.

Buds Gun shop listing shows Browning, Winchester, Ruger, and Mossberg rifles in 7mm WSM
I really appreciate your help but have you got a part number or product I.D. because all the manufactures you just mentioned show out of stock on Bud's..

If he can handle a 7wsm, he can handle the 7 rem mag, many more options there. Way more over the counter ammo options as well.
I'd like to add my two cents worth here. I have to respect your opinion of factory ammo and components. I was thinking about a .28 Nosler build. I was looking at some of the forums and also some of the online dealers. Right now, if you can find it, 28 Nosler is selling for $75 for 25 empty cases. And for now there seems to be a shortage on the brass! This is a caliber with a NOSLER head stamp on it and it is not available. Ammunition availability is really a variable that has to be included in the equation when purchasing/building a rifle. And....I like both of those calibers, my son is getting a 7mm RemMag for Christmas, only he isn't a little guy but its a versatile caliber with lots of options. If you are concerned about recoil, I have really good luck taming the nastiest calibers with the Kick-Eez recoil pads; $30 Brownells. My 45-70 Guide Gun used to rattle my teeth and everything else until I put a Kick-Eez pad on it.

I would recommend a 7/08 or a 7/08 AI for his next rifle.

It is a big step up from a 243 for deer killing performance and You can get it in the same rifle he has so he is familiar with it. it will extend the range on deer and elk and still work in the standard bolt face short action.

The AI version requires fire forming, so if you are not into re loading, it would be necessary to load for it. It also increases the velocity 100 to 150 ft/sec over the standard 7/08. I love my 7 WSM and the 7/08 AI places the velocity in between the 7 WSM and the 7/08. Recoil is more than the 243 but less than the 7 WSM.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

I really appreciate your help but have you got a part number or product I.D. because all the manufactures you just mentioned show out of stock on Bud's..
That is deceptive of Bud's so be it. Go to Gun Broker and search on 270 wsm new rifles, I got 294 hits.... that should work for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.