7mm WSM with 168 gr Berger Classic

PaLuke

Hello. I'm working up a load for my 7mm WSM. It's a Savage 16 FCSS.Im using the 168 gr. Berger classic hunters. It has a 24" barrel with a 1:10 twist. I worked up in .5 grain increments to 64 grains of H 4831 SSC. It shoots a legitimate 1/2" group at 100 yards. Question is at this point would you load in .1 or .2 grain powder increments or work with seating depth. I'm now approximately.030 off the lands. My COAL is 2.830. I have no signs of pressure but I figure why push it. Thank you for your replies.

Hello again. I'm going to load 5 each of .020 and .040 off the lands. This way I guess I'll see which way looks promising. I'll post my results after I get back to shooting. Knee replacement tomorrow. Take care and thanks

Hello again. I'm going to load 5 each of .020 and .040 off the lands. This way I guess I'll see which way looks promising. I'll post my results after I get back to shooting. Knee replacement tomorrow. Take care and thanks

Oh boy, a knee replacement!

Im going to the doctor Wednesday to see if/when I need both my knees done. I may have a possible ACL tear in one and both have tissue scarring and no cartlidge left. Football is havoc on your body!

But for your loads, id suggest finding your best charge weight for any particular land depth. Then load up 3-5 rounds of .01 into the lands, then .0005, .010, .020,.030, .040 out of the lands. Beware increased pressure if you stick it into the lands.

Shoot those, but may I also suggest shooting them as far away as possible. 100 yards wont tell you much. I won't hardly mess with developing loads unless I'm at least 4-500 yards because the spread can be so little in later stages.

After you shoot those those, pick the one that was the best. Then create a new set if rounds that are in a range +/- .010 from the first best land depth. Make them in increments of .002. Pick that best depth and you'll be golden. You can repeat the process till your measuring in the 1/10000ths, but there is no point. After that, you can continue to refine your charge weight. Then refine your primer choice, neck tension etc. It's a long process for sure!

Thank you for the reply. Hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks I'll have a farm where I can shoot farther. It's a very busy area right now so I need the ok from the owner. I'll try what you suggested. As soon as I get back I'll post my results. One more thing. Don't wait on your knee replacements. I did and recovery might take a little l get because of it. Good luck.

PaLuke,
The Classic Hunter bullets are designed to work at magazine length(s) due to their Hybrid design that makes them very tolerant of jump. I would suggest you do your load work up at .1-.2 increments and leave the seating depth alone. Check for accuracy and pressure signs as you work up. Good luck with the Knee replacement! If you have any questions please feel free to contact us here or at [email protected]

Thank you very much for the replies. I'll take your advice and go with 1/10 grain different charges. The rifle is a shooter and I'm excited about the results with the Bergers. Take care.

Hello Derkster. Not to get off topic but how did you make out with your knee. I got home today and the ride home was probably the worst part. Take care and good luck.

Hello Derkster. Not to get off topic but how did you make out with your knee. I got home today and the ride home was probably the worst part. Take care and good luck.

Well, I don't have any bad issues with ligaments. Seems that they are all solid, but they are very loose.

I tore my MCL during football about 4 years ago, but it seems to have healed.

I do have to go back for an MRI sometime. Im still getting swelling, popping, and locking up on me so in gonna say there is a pretty good chance I got some menicus issues. I'm gonna work out for awhile first and see what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.