7MM WSM Recommendations

TRC

I have a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless that I won about 15 years ago in a Nevada Bighorn Auction, that I'm finally getting around to outfitting for Elk. I just mounted a Vortex Viper PST 6-24, and now I'm ready to finally fire it, and am looking for recommendations on a good Factory Load. In looking at Federal, I see the Premium Vital Shock in both 150 and 160 grain, and the 150 seems to out perform the 160. I would be interested on everyone's opinions on these loads, or any other Factory loads I should be looking at. I've been reading that this caliber is getting harder to find, so I may want to get into reloading.

Thanks

Tom

Since you don't reload I would say go with which ever round shoots the best out or your rifle. Either one will do the trick on elk.

The only factory rounds I've shot through my M70 7wsm was when I was breaking in my barrel. I shoot either Berger 168/180gr hunting VLD's using either H4831sc or H1000. Both loads yield around 2,950-60fps. I can shoot them faster but I load for accuracy node not speed.

I would buy every box of factory ammo I could find for it, Keep the best shooting for hunting and save the brass for reloading or sell for a mint! I too want a rifle in this caliber but watching the limited support for it versus the other WSM chamberings I will hold off and wait for it to gain the much deserved popularity of the others thus hopefully resulting in available brass and ammo.

I just spotted this from HSM, a little spendy for Factory Loads, but just may be the ticket.

Tom

7mm WSM HSM Trophy Gold 168 Grain BTHBER7WSM168VL

82202.jpg

Elk are kind of tough so for them I like tough bullets like the Barnes TTSX or LRX. Any of them will kill and elk - and with minimal meat damage.

By the way that was good advice on buying up some factory ammo (or taking up reloading as you mentioned) because the 7mm WSM is not a commercial success. Companies that chamber rifles in the other WSMs don't chamber for the 7mm because the rifles don't sell like the others. One might guess that is due to the market being saturated with 7mm Rem Mags but the 300 WSM sells and there are a lot of 300 Win Mags out there so the logic doesn't hold up. And since Winchester is the only manufacturer of the 7mm WSM brass, when they spool up production once a year you need to be aware so you can get in line.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.