7mm wsm Loads

Gsuttner

im looking for a good load for my 7wsm with 180 grain Berger bullets looking for just under 3000 fps. any help?

I have had good luck with H-1000 but I was over the book max by a good bit which worked well in my gun but I can not and will not recommend that to anyone else for obvious reasons. My manual didn't have 180 loads so I started with real mild 175 loads and SLOWLLY worked my way up. Have also heard some good stuff about RL-33 but have not tried it yet.

How long is your barrel?

I run 180s out of a 28" tube and COAL well over 3.00" and struggle to keep them at the 2,900+ fps node at decent pressures (but the summers in Vegas are a bit hot).

I have used both H4831SC and H1000. You might get a bit more velocity from IMR 7977, it is supposed to be close to H1000 in burn rate or 7828, touch slower than H4831 SC but not as slow as H1000 (my 30-06 Ackley loves 7828SSC under 185 Juggs). If you 26" or less in tube length I think 3,000 fps is not doable, at least not in at hot temps in the summer if you are at something less than 3,000 ft. in elevation.

IF I'm wrong I would love to know what powder gets them to the promised land...

JEffVN

Anyone have experience with IMR 7977? Is it considered an extreme powder? How about Retumbo? I'm working on finding a concoction for the 180 Berger and 175 ABLR as well.

I have a 26" barrel and mine loves H4831SC with the 180gr Berger hybrids, CCI primer, winny brass. I'm overseas so can't tell you the exact amount but it was a little over what the book says and I had no pressure signs. I was consistently shooting 3/4" @ 200 yards. no chronograph so don't know what the speeds are.

My question to you is where the hell did you find brass???

I've had my brass for a long time. I bought a ton of it back when you were swimming in it (something on the order of 1,300 - 1,500 pieces - all from the same lot) roughly 10 years ago and have been using it ever since. I agree that its not easy to find these days.

JeffVN

I run 2950 in a 7rm with a 26", with h1000 or retumbo, at a quarter inch over the standard oal. This is over book max, so i think it unlikely to do the same thing in a7wsm without being significantly overpressure, or a longer barrel, or both.

There are guys running straight 284 winchesters at 2950, so you could do it but i dont like being that much overpressure.

There is nothing you cant do at 2900 that 3000 would help you with anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.