7mm SAUM help

MOG

G'day guys,

I am about to take carriage of my first LR rifle, a 24 inch barrel 7mm SAUM I have built to hunt Tahr with in NZ so its light for what it is.

My issue is loads for this gun.

I am looking at using H4831SC or RL17 as I can get my hands on both relatively easily.

Projectile wise I was looking at the Berger Hybrid 168 and the Nosler 160 AB?

As this is my first go at this I thought I would ask you guys for some info as to what you thought?

I normally hunt things like this....

923.jpg

So I am new to this LR stuff but very much looking fwd to it.

I also have a 7-SAUM that I have yet to even fire :rolleyes:

The majority of folks are going to the 180grain bullets here & the general consensus is either H4831sc or VV N570. Here a couple links that can help you along your quest:

7mm SAUM with 180 VLD on short action?? - Sniper's Hide Forums

7mm SAUM + 180 Berger Hybrids - Sniper's Hide Forums

Took the 7SAUM to 1650 (Range report) - Sniper's Hide Forums

I know it's not exactly what you were looking for, but then again, there is not reason NOT to step up to the 180.

Cheers, gun)

Left handed Stiller LoneStar Short Action
26" Fluted Obermeyer 8.5 twist +break
Manners MCS-T5 w/ mini chassis

Just received my Murphy Precision 20moa rail a couple days ago... hard to shoot w/o a pic rail!!:D

gun)

Brass?

Where you getting yours? You paying 2 a round for Nosler or you using Remington? OR are you 300 SAUM down. Did you stockpile?

Should MOG consider this? but not sure of availablity in his area.

Outlaw6.0 if you are indeed stockpiling - where do you live and when do you go on vacation?:D

Thank you
Bill

Brass?

Where you getting yours? You paying 2 a round for Nosler or you using Remington? OR are you 300 SAUM down. Did you stockpile?

Should MOG consider this? but not sure of availablity in his area.

Outlaw6.0 if you are indeed stockpiling - where do you live and when do you go on vacation?:D

Thank you
Bill

The rifle came with 200 rounds of Remington brass when I bought it. I've had relatively good luck with remington brass. You have to work a little harder, but it comes out pretty well.

I've been shooting the 7 SAUM for a few years now and I absolutely love it. I'm shooting the 180 Hybrid with H4831sc. Out of a 28" barrel, I'm getting around 3050 fps and it's extremely accurate. I'm using Norma 300 SAUM brass with great results. I'm still hoping that Lapua will start making brass for the 7.

I've been shooting the 7 SAUM for a few years now and I absolutely love it. I'm shooting the 180 Hybrid with H4831sc. Out of a 28" barrel, I'm getting around 3050 fps and it's extremely accurate. I'm using Norma 300 SAUM brass with great results. I'm still hoping that Lapua will start making brass for the 7.

I will be shooting the 180 Hunting VLD (which had a lower BC than the Hybrid) with either H-4831sc or N570, time will tell. Below is the reply from Kevin Thomas in regards to my inquiry about Lapua manufactured 7mm-RSAUM brass:

"Its been discussed, but I'd have to say it's quite a ways down the road, if they decide to do it at all. They're looking very closely at the 300 Win Mag right now, and still haven't made a firm decision about that one, either. Takes some time to get these things up and rolling, especially when dealing with cases that are not part of a larger family that we already service. Much of the interest we've seen had been the result of input from the F-class shooters, and they're the ones that are pretty much driving the program right now. Keep in touch, and I'll be happy to keep you posted as I learn more."

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.